The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by Lew Stringer »

News from Simon Furman on Twitter:

On 15th August 2018, Rebellion are releasing The Vigilant - a 48 page, all-original, all colour, U.S. sized comic, reintroducing classic super-beings, aliens, mad scientists and monsters from the old IPC/Fleetway catalogue.

"The Leopard From Lime Street, Adam Eterno, The Steel Commando, Dr. Sin, Pete's Pocket Army and Blake Edmonds (Deathwish) team up to face Von Hoffman and Dr. Mesmer. The Rebellion-verse begins here! Written by Simon Furman with art from Simon Coleby and other guest creators."

I understand it's a one-off for now, but interesting news all the same!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1631
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by SID »

I like it. :cheers:
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1323
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by Adam Eterno »

I love the sound of that!

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by koollectablz »

Well that really is awesome news! Roll on the associated summer special!!

Lew Stringer
Posts: 7041
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 00:59
Contact:

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by Lew Stringer »

koollectablz wrote:Well that really is awesome news! Roll on the associated summer special!!
I think this is the special. It'll just be U.S. comic size instead of the larger UK format.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by big bad bri »

cant wait for this hope it becomes fortnightly or monthly along with the previously announced scream/misty special number 2

David McDonald
Posts: 221
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 21:56
Location: Mayo,Ireland
Contact:

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by David McDonald »

Fair play to rebellion for doing these specials.
I know that the idea of a new regular newsagents comic is not going to happen, but regular (quarterly?) specials might be a runner. Looking forward to this.
I really enjoyed the Scream and Misty special, but I think I enjoyed the act of buying it from the newsagents more :lol:

Anorak783
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 Oct 2011, 21:41

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by Anorak783 »

Great to see Rebellion doing more than their bit to revive general interest in British comics .... but couldn't they have come up with a better name for the title - I mean, really?

Not overly enamoured with the Marvel Superhero Team-Up approach either, but I suppose it makes sense commercially. I hope the story is complete in the issue and doesn't act as a springboard into another special edition.

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1631
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by SID »

Anorak783 wrote:Great to see Rebellion doing more than their bit to revive general interest in British comics .... but couldn't they have come up with a better name for the title - I mean, really?

Not overly enamoured with the Marvel Superhero Team-Up approach either, but I suppose it makes sense commercially. I hope the story is complete in the issue and doesn't act as a springboard into another special edition.
I like the name. Although I do hope that there's still life in the old characters, I do think that the old style of storytelling is over (even if we at ComicsUK still like it). Since Marvel & DC have done well on both sides of the pond with the superhero theme, as you say, it does make sense that Rebellion aims the title at the Panini/Titan paying fans.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by big bad bri »

Maybe they should have called the team or comic The Rebellion,i know DC done a comic called Vigilante.

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1631
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by SID »

Mine came today and I enjoyed it. Good to see Adam Eterno and the Steel Commando again.

I hope they bring out more.
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

big bad bri
Posts: 1757
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 15:50

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by big bad bri »

i was speaking to simon furman at the london film & comic con and he said they hope to do it as a regular monthly at some point .i think it depends how this sells

User avatar
SID
Posts: 1631
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 22:53
Location: Reading comics since 1969.
Contact:

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by SID »

:xfingers:
My Regulars:
2000 AD (1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990), Spaceship Away (2003), Commando (2013), Doctor Who: TFTTC (2016), MAD (2016), Deadpool Unleashed (2017), Marvel Legends (2017), Batman: TOTDK (2020).

User avatar
koollectablz
Posts: 490
Joined: 05 Mar 2006, 18:30

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by koollectablz »

Bought this today, don't know why but I was expecting it to be more of a magazine type of publication rather than american comic sized.

Unfortunately I don't think it works.

Yes I know they have done it to try and give the characters a new lease of life, but it needs a far better story and the 'team up' thing is unwieldy and quite confusing.

It also doesn't have the immediate brand recognition that the Scream and Misty special did, so people who didn't know it was coming out won't pick it up 'on the fly' as it just looks like an another american comic. At the least it needed a cover for the first issue that had the names of the characters on the cover in their 'old' fonts so there's at least some kind of recognition of who it features.

I'll be surprised if there's a second issue.

User avatar
Adam Eterno
Posts: 1323
Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 01:05
Location: Southampton/London

Re: The Vigilant, - new comic from Rebellion

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:Bought this today, don't know why but I was expecting it to be more of a magazine type of publication rather than american comic sized.

Unfortunately I don't think it works.

Yes I know they have done it to try and give the characters a new lease of life, but it needs a far better story and the 'team up' thing is unwieldy and quite confusing.

It also doesn't have the immediate brand recognition that the Scream and Misty special did, so people who didn't know it was coming out won't pick it up 'on the fly' as it just looks like an another american comic. At the least it needed a cover for the first issue that had the names of the characters on the cover in their 'old' fonts so there's at least some kind of recognition of who it features.

I'll be surprised if there's a second issue.
That's a shame. I was looking forward to this but I'm in no hurry to pick it up. I'll probably get it anyway when the next Scream and Misty comes out.

Post Reply