The Adventures of Fudge the Elf

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

The Adventures of Fudge the Elf

Post by Hawkeye »

How much would you expect to pay for the 1939 first Fudge book in very good condition?

I know there have been a couple on ebay selling for around £20, but one was buy it now which gives little indication as to the real value, and the other was a bit of a mess.

I've searched google for any sale prices but to no avail.

I have been offered one for £200, is this way too much?

klakadak-ploobadoof

Re: The Adventures of Fudge the Elf

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

The £20 buy-it-now copies must be softback reprints by Savoy Books published in the early '80s. Original hardcover books rarely turn up on eBay and cost a lot more in good condition. I believe I paid something in the region of £200, maybe more for each of my copies.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:The £20 buy-it-now copies must be softback reprints by Savoy Books published in the early '80s. Original hardcover books rarely turn up on eBay and cost a lot more in good condition. I believe I paid something in the region of £200, maybe more for each of my copies.
I've just been checking with the seller who states there are no colour plates in the book. I'm pretty sure the 'Adventures of Fudge the Elf' should have at least one at the front of the book. If you have a minute could you check yours for me please?
cheers

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

My copy of The Adventures of Fudge the Elf (1939 edition) does have one colour plate at the front. My book appears to be complete, so I don't think there were more.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

klakadak-ploobadoof wrote:My copy of The Adventures of Fudge the Elf (1939 edition) does have one colour plate at the front. My book appears to be complete, so I don't think there were more.
Thanks for checking, I'm sure there was only the one.

cheers

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

The first one hasn't been reprinted, Savoy only reprinted the two softbacks versions of 'Bubbleville' and 'Dragon'. The first one only has the one colour plate - if the one you've been offered has the plate and a full spine then £200 is about right. The first one and 'Frolics' are extremely difficult to get in decent condition. TBH if the one you've been offered is nice condition even without the plate then I'd be tempted to get it as poor copies do turn up that you could take the plate from.

Sometimes you just have to pay the price to get what you want.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think it cost me a pound a few years ago. :)

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I really like the Fudge books, high quality items with a finite amount of years and super fun to collect. A lot like the Felix annuals from the 20s

AMP

Post by AMP »

Hello all

I've been lurking in the shadows for a fair while but I thought I'd contribute. I may be one of the buyers of the £20 buy it now eBay copies of The Adventures of Fudge mentioned above - actually it was £19.39 so presumably the seller was setting prices by the year of publication that day.

The photograph didn't give much of an idea of condition but I was pleasantly surprised. The book was seemingly unread but suffered a bit from foxing on the text block which, as the pages were otherwise bright, was quite noticeable. It does have its dust jacket which is in fairly decent condition, albeit there's a one inch strip missing from the top of the front cover which doesn't effect the image. I'd not seen one before but it just reproduces the image on the boards.

Andrew

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

AMP wrote:Hello all

I've been lurking in the shadows for a fair while but I thought I'd contribute. I may be one of the buyers of the £20 buy it now eBay copies of The Adventures of Fudge mentioned above - actually it was £19.39 so presumably the seller was setting prices by the year of publication that day.

The photograph didn't give much of an idea of condition but I was pleasantly surprised. The book was seemingly unread but suffered a bit from foxing on the text block which, as the pages were otherwise bright, was quite noticeable. It does have its dust jacket which is in fairly decent condition, albeit there's a one inch strip missing from the top of the front cover which doesn't effect the image. I'd not seen one before but it just reproduces the image on the boards.

Andrew
I have been trying to find out if the original copies did have a dustjacket, but now I know, thanks for that Andrew.

Well done for snapping it up.

AMP

Post by AMP »

Thanks Hawkeye - I'll dig it out and post a picture when I can.

Incidentally, there's an article on the British Newspaper Archive showing that Ken spent a couple of days in the book department at Lewis' Department Store in Manchester signing copies, with an accompanying photograph of Ken in situ surrounded by a bank of the books.

If you were unlucky enough to miss his signing session, there's another note giving instructions how to send Ken a postal order and he'd send you a signed copy directly. I wonder how many of those are still around?!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

That would have been fantastic. If time travel is ever invented I'm going back to 1939. Just for an hour or two though, 'cos my dogs will need to be fed and walked !

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Might nip out and buy the first Beano book after the signing too and I wonder if the Manchester shops might have stocked the first Broons book as well. Now that would have been a great afternoon, and still left with a handful of change from a £1!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...You might even find a backstreet newsagent selling copies of Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 as well! :)

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

AMP wrote:Hello all

Andrew
I sent a message recently to the "Fudge" website, asking about various Fudge related things, this is the reply I got today -
Adventures of Fudge the Elf

'No dust jacket. Production, war time, poor, I have yet to see a fine example.

Worth £200 + (having said that the potential market is fairly small)

The Doll. Never managed to find one. The soft toy shown as an illustration
was a prototype. One only. Ken's son was given
it. Unhappily their dog savaged it.'

Regarding the dust jacket on yours Andrew, do you think it looks original or could it possibly be a home-made one?