Rebellion Purchase Comic Cuts & Look In

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tonyf33

Rebellion Purchase Comic Cuts & Look In

Post by tonyf33 »

Have you seen todays news https://comicsflix.org/2018/09/28/rebel ... d-look-in/
Going to need bigger shelves!

Adam Eterno

Re: Rebellion Purchase Comic Cuts & Look In

Post by Adam Eterno »

Yep, I saw the article on the BBC earlier. Great move by Rebellion - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-o ... e-45645553

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Reunited at last! Just imagine what will now see daylight. Kelly’s Eye, Frankie Stein, The Spider, and more - and even then more on top!

What titles do we want to see added to the Treasury of British Comics?

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I should clarify that Frankie Stein HAS seen daylight recently but can now have new appearances. Imagine Ken Reid’s meeting Robert Nixon’s in some time travel mix up!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Titan wanted it too but were outbid.
https://downthetubes.net/?p=101020

Retro1972

Post by Retro1972 »

The article mentions Valiant. I assumed Rebellion already had the rights to it. Hence the one eyed Jack book from last summer???

starscape

Post by starscape »

Rebellion only had Fleetway (Egmont)'s Valiant characters created after a certain year (1972 IIRC)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Retro1972

Post by Retro1972 »

Oh okay fair enough. Wonder if the Look-in tv comic strips will have limitations due to various studios owning the rights.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

they are gonna need bigger offices or warehouse space

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Apparently Dale Jackson, one of the UK’s top original comic art collectors was interested but with an asking price of £300,000 he says he couldn’t make the sums add up. So an attempt at successful negotiations for Look-In reprints should be on the agenda.

I do wonder though how deep the well is on viable reprints despite the large volume of material. So I expect to see more original material in a contemporary style a la The Vigilant.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, somehow I don't see a Weary Willie and Tired Tim collection, for example, selling. Comic Cuts ended 65 years ago after all - so anyone who read that when it first came out is in their 70s at least. They can't rely on a nostalgia market consisting only of pensioners, they need to attract new readers. The stuff that will sell is material by notable artists, and perhaps some of the Look-In material if they can re-obtain the necessary licenses. Also, Billy Bunter is famous enough that a collection of his comic strips (from Knockout) should do well enough. Maybe some of the adventure story characters could get new material under the Battle imprint (the label they're using for video game tie-in Sniper Elite Resistance)? Especially the ones from Battle itself. Continuing and expanding Vigilant is also a sensible idea, assuming that one-shot sold well enough.

Retro1972

Post by Retro1972 »

The trigian empire and The Silent Three collections would be likely I think. Knowing rebellion they will put a broad variety with a few surprises in there.

SID

Post by SID »

That's brilliant news!!! :cheers:

Glad that all that rich heritage have returned to mother Britain.

I must admit, apart from the obvious, I would love to see collected works from Look-In such as the Six Million Dollar Man, etc... (if the licensing allows it).

Apart from Look and Learn, Eagle and DCT, there any comics that Rebellion now doesn't own? TV21, TV Tornado, Lady Penelope, Joe 90, TV Comic and TV Action come to mind. But what others?

(Off to IKEA to buy more shelving for the new collections that will be coming out.)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I would be so happy to see The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire printed in it's entirety. It's just too pricey to buy currently and I've loved what I've already read.

SID

Post by SID »

Adam Eterno wrote:I would be so happy to see The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire printed in it's entirety. It's just too pricey to buy currently and I've loved what I've already read.
They are lovely books but agreed, very expensive. No prizes in that they would have to be in full colour.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).