Restoration

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Will-comics

Restoration

Post by Will-comics »

Hi, I'm just starting out restoring comics so does anyone have any ideas what materials to use and what equipment. Thanks

Trevor

Re: Restoration

Post by Trevor »

Hi, I've just faithfully restored a Jackpot front cover featuring my characters The Amazing Three. I will be posting it on page 20 of my Trevortoons.com website on late afternoon of 20th April 2020. I re-created it using the trace process in Adobe Illustrator CS6 on my Mac.I hope this info is of use to you. Stay safe, Trevor Metcalfe

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

If you mean physical restoration I repair edge tears with a thin piece of magic tape which is virtually invisible once applied. Also if a spine is frayed I cut the spine from a newspaper and pritstick it around the area. The newsprint will, over time, yellow and match the comic. I also keep a set of coloured marker pens for touching up any missing image (say when a free gift had been removed from the cover with some loss of surface) but daub a piece of paper first to check the colour as markers are normally a lot darker than the colour shown on the actual pen plastic. Coloured pencils might be a safer alternative. I wouldn't recommend this on very valuable comics, though. Best leave them alone.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I have to agree with your last sentence, Steve, as most people would make a bad situation worse.

Will-comics

Post by Will-comics »

Hi
Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated