Planning for retirement

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain underpants

Planning for retirement

Post by Captain underpants »

Like a lot of people of a certain age I have been slowly planning my retirement, I have two and a half years left to go think the money side is sorted, house paid for etc etc. I know I probably won’t have the spare cash to spend on comics as I have now so I got a plan in place to keep me in reading material for a number of years, I have been buying items now which I can store without too much space needed . Pocket library comics store to about 140 ish to a photo copy paper box, also when the price is right buying Alan class comics and 60s and 70s DC comics . I have now started buying graphic novels and I am very pleased that more and more classic British story’s are being produced like this. I will start to sell off once I have read them again all my victor, hornet and similar comics as I’m finding the paper is slowly getting brittle which will give me more space and spare cash

Adam Eterno

Re: Planning for retirement

Post by Adam Eterno »

Captain underpants wrote:Like a lot of people of a certain age I have been slowly planning my retirement, I have two and a half years left to go think the money side is sorted, house paid for etc etc. I know I probably won’t have the spare cash to spend on comics as I have now so I got a plan in place to keep me in reading material for a number of years, I have been buying items now which I can store without too much space needed . Pocket library comics store to about 140 ish to a photo copy paper box, also when the price is right buying Alan class comics and 60s and 70s DC comics . I have now started buying graphic novels and I am very pleased that more and more classic British story’s are being produced like this. I will start to sell off once I have read them again all my victor, hornet and similar comics as I’m finding the paper is slowly getting brittle which will give me more space and spare cash
I keep thinking that when I retire, I’ll buy thousands of comics in one go and then sell them individually as I read them to get my money back and then some. I’d have the time if I was retired!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Captain underpants wrote:I will start to sell off once I have read them again all my victor, hornet and similar comics
I'm not that badly off for THE HORNET, but I do have a number of significant gaps, so if you do ever decide to sell off your HORNET collection, please PM me.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I retired in May 2017 and now only seek out bargains which, if you read the what comics did you buy today thread, you will see I have been quite lucky with. My local flea market has a box full of sixties and early seventies Hotspurs for 50p each. I bought a few but they don't appeal to me that much. I did recently pay £5 to £6 each for four issues of Alter Ego at 30th Century Comics though.