Heroic Adventure Library - Pearson - 1964

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Heroic Adventure Library - Pearson - 1964

Post by Adam Eterno »

This was a very obscure set that so far I have only seen 8 copies of which I have two. I remember Steve Zodiac saying he picked up a different copy some time ago as well. GCD has images of all 8 here: https://www.comics.org/series/67944/covers/

My query is regarding which comic was the first issue. GCD has Marco Polo as #1 and that seems to be the most popular on the internet, Denis Gifford says the first issue is Daring Dick Turpin and I have seen The Gallant Crusaders advertised as #1 on Ebay. As a collector of first issues, I have now bought two but the only clue I can see is on the inside back page, at the end of the credits, one comic has HP/3/4/64 and the other has HP/1/4/64. Common sense tells me that the 1/4 should be the earlier issue but that's the Gallant Crusaders.

Any thoughts please Folks? Does anyone else have any issues to check the number printed on the last page please?

standby4action

Re: Heroic Adventure Library - Pearson - 1964

Post by standby4action »

The printed Comic Book Price Guide (Duncan McAlpine) 1996-1997 says 1 = Gallant Crusaders and he knew of a number 2 but not whether there were any more.

The online version - much more recent - says he knew there are 5 issues but you'll need a registered account to learn more. Does anyone here have one to help?

And I'm sure you've seen MyComicShop which thinks Marco Polo is #1

Adam Eterno

Re: Heroic Adventure Library - Pearson - 1964

Post by Adam Eterno »

standby4action wrote:The printed Comic Book Price Guide (Duncan McAlpine) 1996-1997 says 1 = Gallant Crusaders and he knew of a number 2 but not whether there were any more.

The online version - much more recent - says he knew there are 5 issues but you'll need a registered account to learn more. Does anyone here have one to help?

And I'm sure you've seen MyComicShop which thinks Marco Polo is #1
Thanks for that. Mycomicshop tend to copy GCD I've noticed, even when wrong. 2 were sold recently on Ebay by the same seller I bought Marco Polo from so I may ask them. I think I may collect these now!