Looking for help in identifying vintage comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Fishyfins

Looking for help in identifying vintage comic

Post by Fishyfins »

Hi everyone, here is something possibly a little different...

I am a genealogyst, and im currently "exploring" a collection of old family photos sent to me by a distant relative, and trying to identify individuals in the photos. One way im trying to do this is by dating the photographs. Which is what brings me here.

In one particular photograph, the individuals are sat around on a lawn reading what appears to be a comic book. Im hoping someone here may be able to identify the comic, and give me some more information on it that would help me date the photo. This is the comic in question:

From what i can tell, the comic is called "Merry-Thought and Scraps", and is the "Grand Holiday Number". I have tried to do my own research, but there doesnt appear to be much info online about it. The best info ive been able to find is "Scraps was a weekly comic paper published by James Henderson & Sons from 29 August 1883 to 1910, when it was renamed Merry Thought", but anything more specific would be more than welcome.

Thanks for the help
Fish

Adam Eterno

Re: Looking for help in identifying vintage comic

Post by Adam Eterno »

Stevezodiac may know more about this as he has posted here on this before

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I do have some copies but they are in my storage unit and I am unable to lay hands on them. From memory I'd say they were from around 1910.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Merry-Thought & Scraps as a combined title only lasted for 21 issues from 7th May 1910 to 24th Sept 1910 so it would appear, assuming that the magazine in the photo was current at the time the photo was taken and not something picked up in the dentists waiting room from years before that the holiday it refers to was the August Bank Holiday of that year which, at the time, traditionally fell on the first Monday in the month which in 1910 happened to be 1st of the month.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

What no kudos for my unfailing memory? Considering the thousands of comics and hundreds of titles I own I'm impressed myself☺️

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

stevezodiac wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 18:41
What no kudos for my unfailing memory? Considering the thousands of comics and hundreds of titles I own I'm impressed myself☺️
Heaps of kudos Steve.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Of course, Steve, we are not being remotely critical of your memory, but i think most members would agree with me that it is about time you tidied up your storage unit!!!!!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I keep getting emails saying there has been a reply. With the old and much better forum format I could just until the boxes to prevent this. Now with all these meaningless icons in boxes I have no idea what to do. Seriously considering unsubscribing to this website. It's infuriating.

Fishyfins

Post by Fishyfins »

Thankyou for the help everyone, that is great information., I appreciate it :)