Your FIRST Ever Favourite Comic Character/Strip

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Your FIRST Ever Favourite Comic Character/Strip

Post by SID »

I think that everyone here has their favourite comic character or, like me, even a few.

But the question here is:

What was your FIRST ever favourite comic character or strip?

I don't necessarily mean a British character/strip either. For instance, it could be Mickey Mouse or Spider-man. As long that it came from a comic that you read.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: Your FIRST Ever Favourite Comic Character/Strip

Post by SID »

I have a few.

However; my first ever favourite comic character/strip was Black Bob - The Dandy Wonder Dog.

It was my favourite strip of the late 60s/& 70s when I started reading The Dandy and I still love it (enough to make me collect all of his annuals).
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Mine was a character called Pickford, a mysterious man with an aura of great power and authority. He just turned up one day at the ground of Redstoke United Football Club and told the manager that he was going to play inside-right for one of the two teams in a pre-season training session. His skills were so fantastic that the manager took him to the club's office before the session was over and promptly signed him on. The title of the serial was 'The Goal Maker', which ran in The WIZARD for basically the length of a real-life football season, in this case 1949-1950. Fairly early in the story, it was revealed that he was a member of a strange sect called 'The People Of The Phoenix', who were reputed to live for ever, although it did involve dying, but unlike ourselves, he would be reborn more or less straightaway, rising from the funeral pyre as a new man. In this case the pyre was on Beacon Hill, and on one occasion there were many men round the pyre who could be seen shaking hands with a new arrival as they welcomed him. The main investigation into Pickford was done by Pickford's right-wing partner, Jimmy Baker, who played as an amateur because his full-time job was as a journalist for the local sports paper, whose editor frequently sent him to find out as much as possible about Pickford for the readers who would want to know as much as possible about their wonderful new player, who apparently had played for three different teams since 1888 before disappearing, reappearing every twenty years. I suspect that plenty of female readers will notice that the general plot has been used in several DCT stories for girls, not necessarily sports stories.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

:D favourite British comic strip was the Bash St Kids from the 60s Beano classic mayhem, I also have a favourite American comic strip which was Superman which I used to get from a second hand book stall in Broadway market Hackney. My family moved mid sixties to the seaside in Essex I found shops full of British comics and spinner racks of American comics I was in heaven.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My mate Steve grew up in Hackney and only last week mentioned buying comics from a stall in Broadway market. I think my first favourite strip was the Daleks on the back cover of TV Century 21. The rust cloud story stays in my memory and the one with some Daleks rebelling and wearing flowers. True!

bigpete

Post by bigpete »

I would have to say I was always a Beezer and Topper fan as a kid and The Jellymen was probably mine, closely followed by Space Whacker, and The Iron Eaters.
bigpete