Dandy Character Name Change Query - 1945/46

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

booksandcomics

Dandy Character Name Change Query - 1945/46

Post by booksandcomics »

Hello all,

Just wanting to check if anyone else is aware of a name change for two Dandy comic characters- Charlie Chutney and Old Ma' Murphy

Managed to get hold of a Dandy Monster Comic for 1946 (the one with stars on the cover) and noticed that these two characters are given a different name.

I've checked the copies of the weekly comic I have around Christmas and New year 1945 / 46. Also, there's no mention of a name change in any books I can find (History of the Dandy Comic etc.)

If anyone else has a copy of the annual, are they also called different names? Anyone aware of why this might have changed? Did they have a name change in the comics?

Cheers,
Adam

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Dandy Character Name Change Query - 1945/46

Post by Kashgar »

Charlie Chutney and Old Ma Murphy both first appeared in the Dandy in late 1944. The first annual in which they appeared was the Dandy Monster Comic for 1946 in which they were given the alternative titles Conrad the Cook and Miss Prom for the one and only time.. Why the title change? Possibly because the first annual strips had been prepared at a time when the final names for the strips still remained undecided and as the Dandy itself had an editorial change in late 1944 when John Low was replaced by John Hutton maybe this titling error just slipped through unnnoticed.

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Dandy Character Name Change Query - 1945/46

Post by Kashgar »

I did mention this in my Dandy Monster Index back in the day.