Lockdown rambles ( without pics.)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Lockdown rambles ( without pics.)

Post by abacus »

Spend a lot of my TV time watching Youtube , that's from movies to documentaries and even painting and drawing tutorials to help try and improve my art dabs.
Something I watched that I was unaware of before ,but you folks probably knew was the american comic grading system, which reminded me of the score cards held up by judges at gymnastic events I.e 9.9 excellent 1.5 rubbish.
Comics are graded by condition including whiteness of paper, creases , tears etc.and a points label is placed on the plastic folder the comic is preserved in 9.6 being a very good copy.
A day or so before lockdown I bought two annuals from charity shops ,Voyage to the bottom of the sea 1967 for £1.99 and Popeye annual 1977 for a £1.
I didn't particularly want the Popeye annual but it was in near mint condition and the artwork was faithful to the original Popeye.With many artists involved creating books and comics with popular characters say Mickey Mouse for instance I always prefer ones faithful or near as possible to the original artwork.
My son phoned to say a nearby carboot sale was opening in june , looking forward to being out and about again.

stevezodiac

Re: Lockdown rambles ( without pics.)

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I'm hoping Antique fairs will be open as they are open air markets. Kempton Park beckons. I've used lockdown to index comics onto Grand Comics Database. Added the last three of my Alan Class comics this morning.

abacus

Post by abacus »

I should imagine the difference between antiques fairs and carboot sales is that the antique dealers are well clued up on the goods they are selling.
Regarding lockdown missed going to the free comic book day event which should have been this month and was postponed but hopefully will be re-instated later this year.
I have had one holiday cancelled and am expecting another in a few weeks time to be cancelled.
I enjoy collecting comics not for the monetary value but am aware older comics usually fetch the higher prices.

I watch this american guy on youtube who had bought a bulk box of comics and many that I liked he was putting on oneside in a dismissive attitude he picked out ones where a new comic character was introduced and decided these were of greater value.
I made a mental note of this, I am always ready to learn. :)

SID

Post by SID »

I am just looking forward to being able to go somewhere other than a supermarket. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

abacus

Post by abacus »

abacus wrote:
27 May 2020, 07:23

My son phoned to say a nearby carboot sale was opening in june , looking forward to being out and about again.
Got another phone call from my son yesterday to say the planned opening day june 7 for this particular carboot sale will not now go ahead .Apparently there is difficulty organising and applying the stringent lockdown rules regarding toilets,social crowding etc .and therefore the event will have to wait for a few more weeks .
Ah well! :)
Last edited by abacus on 22 Aug 2021, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I leave for Kempton Park at around 8.30am and don't get home until about 2.30pm without once needing a toilet. Why do people have such weak bladders? I used to arrive at work around 9.30am and not use the toilet until about 5.30pm. I could have been a superhero.

Look its Super Bladder Man! See how he looks upon that portaloo with utter disdain and a contemptuous smirk!

abacus

Post by abacus »

stevezodiac wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 21:43
I leave for Kempton Park at around 8.30am and don't get home until about 2.30pm without once needing a toilet. Why do people have such weak bladders? I used to arrive at work around 9.30am and not use the toilet until about 5.30pm. I could have been a superhero.

Look its Super Bladder Man! See how he looks upon that portaloo with utter disdain and a contemptuous smirk!
I'm inclined to agree with you Super Bladder man but all restaurants, cafes and even many carboot sales that provide food and drink have to site toilets as well.Maybe some people have weak bladders , maybe others use toilets out of habit after eating and drinking or then again of necessity , who knows? Personally I rarely use those toilets they are not places I particularly want to visit :)