Vintage Pre-War Beano & Dandy Comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Into The Abyss

Vintage Pre-War Beano & Dandy Comics

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hi all. Been thinking. Do any any forum members collect any pre-war Beano & Dandy comics? I know they are extremely expensive, well the early issues are, but it would be great to see any pictures of what you've collected over the years.

Here's two examples of what I own. A Beano Comic No' 42 & 43 from 1939. Both are in great shape for 81 yr olds. :)

PS. Hope members can see the pictures uploaded from my Microsoft Onedrive. If not, apologies all.

My Dandy comics from 1939, No' 67 & 103. Again in good shape for 81 yrs.

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 26 Jul 2020, 18:13, edited 4 times in total.
Well, hello there! :wave:

SID

Re: Vintage Pre-War Beano & Dandy Comics

Post by SID »

I have none myself but can't wait to see your images once they become available.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

SID wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 15:16
I have none myself but can't wait to see your images once they become available.

Cheers SID for letting me know. Damn, thought as much!! :headbash:

I'll try to sort it out a.s.a.p! :cheers:

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

The images for your 2 Beano's and 2 Dandy's have come through fine thanks. Very nice items to have in your collection.

I don't have any pre-war issues of these titles. My earliest is a 1941 Dandy.

However, I have managed to acquire front covers of most of the pre-war issues though. Mostly from auction websites.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Al wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 13:53
The images for your 2 Beano's and 2 Dandy's have come through fine thanks. Very nice items to have in your collection.

I don't have any pre-war issues of these titles. My earliest is a 1941 Dandy.

However, I have managed to acquire front covers of most of the pre-war issues though. Mostly from auction websites.
Oh cool. Thanks. Initially had a few issues uploading them. I assumed images taken from Microsoft One Drive were visible, but soon realised something was wrong. Anyhow, Flicker to the rescue, lol. 😅

You mention, pre-war front covers. Think I've seen one or two artist proofs on ebay in the past. But for some reason never bought any? 🤔

Myself have got loads of mid to late 1940s Dandy & Beano comics, as they are more attainable, but have been trying recently to source earlier issues.

As you know it's a minefield sometimes. The prices can soar to the stratosphere online if a bidding starts. Although saying that, have been fortunate with the early issues that I own. Didn't pay the earth thankfully, he says clutching his moth bitten wallet. 🙂

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Al, perhaps you could oblige by putting those covers onto the Grand Comics Database. I'm going to out those two Beanos on if Into the Abyss doesn't mind.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 20:02
Al, perhaps you could oblige by putting those covers onto the Grand Comics Database. I'm going to out those two Beanos on if Into the Abyss doesn't mind.
Stevezodiac. Good idea about AI's covers. And regarding my two Beanos. Hey, copy & paste away friend. Welcome to use them. 🙂👍

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

I've just joined the GCD and uploaded Beano covers for issues 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 & 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 38, 41, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 59, 60

I'll upload the others over time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Wow that was quick. Thanks. I have to say I'm enjoying indexing British stuff onto GCD. I find Thorpe and Porter type annuals on eBay and sometimes they show the contents page and away I go. With regard to cover images I learned early in that if your image isn't perfect you should tick the "mark for replacement" box. I've just indexed the Cowboy Hero Annual no. 4 using an eBay contents page image.