Ĺucky buy

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Ĺucky buy

Post by abacus »

After 3 cancelled holidays this year managed a holiday at last in Norfolk last week.
While away my son rang to say he had picked up two annuals for £4 at a carboot sale,
That's not always welcome for as well as me having to pay for them he doesn't know what annuals I have in my collection.
He dropped by with them today and as luck would have it the TV Fun annual was the one I had needed for some time to complete the set
and I have number of Radio Fun annuals but not this particular one.
With no further carboot sales this year there should be no more suprise buys. :)

Into The Abyss

Re: Ĺucky buy

Post by Into The Abyss »

Hey, well done Abacus! Love attending Bootsales too. The bug started when I was a kid. Used go to school summer fetes and later jumble sales looking for comics & annuals with our parents. No joke, me & my brother collected hundreds of comics & annuals in our time. It got to the point where we were running out of space, so we had to sell them all, well the annuals at least. We then realised it was more sensible to collect mainly comics as they were easier to store. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Must have spent hundreds of pounds and thousands of hours over the years looking. Crazy now thinking about it? Think we had at one point the very annuals uploaded. :)
Well, hello there! :wave:

abacus

Post by abacus »

Into The Abyss wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 17:04
No joke, me & my brother collected hundreds of comics & annuals in our time. It got to the point where we were running out of space, so we had to sell them all, well the annuals at least. We then realised it was more sensible to collect mainly comics as they were easier to store.
Yes storage is a problem if I empty them out of a cupboard for some reason I can't get them all to go back.

At the last boot sale I visited, a middle aged lady had a table of books and about half a dozen Valiant comics.
I wasn't that interested in the comics but thought I would inquire anyway.
The conversation went like this.
Me:"How much are the comics?"
Seller:(becoming thoughtful for a few seconds as though the question was unexpected) "£3"
Me:(for clarification)"What each?"
Seller:(no reply to my question but then after a second or two)"Make me an offer"
Me:(at such a request my mind struggles beyond 50p or a £1)"I don't know"
Seller :(looking at the comics and suddenly plucking a sum out of the air)"£15"
I didn't particularly want the comics in the first place and realised I should have left this conversation at the beginning as I moved on to the next stall.

Remember the Alice quote:"What good is a book without pictures"
It would have been nice to see more pics from forum members collections but maybe forum space doesn't allow that,Just a passing thought.
Some charity shops I visit are open but two of my favourite shops have been closed since early lockdown and if they are waiting for the virus to disappear it might run into years :D
Last edited by abacus on 17 Mar 2021, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Yeah, would be fascinating to see how members store their collections.

My 1930s, 40s & 50s Beanos & Dandy are all in collector bags and placed in a plastic tub with little bags of anti moisture crystals. Better safe than never, I say. ☺️

The biggest comic haul me and my brother ever had was when a van set up stall one weekend, and to our shock pulled out over 180 comics which included, Sparky, Candy, Topper, Beano, Dandy, Big One, Beezer etc... The seller said they were old shop stock. And in the late 2000s we sold them all for over £3000 on ebay. We only paid £45. Nice return. 😎
Well, hello there! :wave: