Alan Class covers

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Alan Class covers

Post by abacus »

The wise comic owls that sit around this comic forum have no doubt got the Photo Journal guide to Alan Class comic covers book But for others including me this is a book I wasn't aware of until I noticed it on Internet Archive .
It can be read online but I found after some difficulty I could only download the PDF using the Adobe Acrobat app.

Here's the link.
https://archive.org/details/ ... ss-comics
I prefered then to move the download to ReadEra app a reader where I keep all my other downloaded books and comics.

Good book for Alan Class collectors, now I think I will just look through and find which ones I have got :cheers:

Into The Abyss

Re: Alan Class covers

Post by Into The Abyss »

Some iconic cover art. Class act. Sorry, couldn't help myself. 😀

Thanks also for the link abacus. 😎👍
Well, hello there! :wave:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Nice book. Most of the covers are on GCD now. You can also flick through the book here: https://archive.org/details/photo-journ ... s/mode/2up

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Because the Alan Class comics were broader in size they had slightly more cover artwork than the American originals. You can look at Alan Class covers on Grand Comics Database then click the reprint ink to see the American original and compare the extra cover image. Creepy Worlds #54 is one good example with the tidal wave more advanced on the AC cover.

abacus

Post by abacus »

stevezodiac wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 15:24
Because the Alan Class comics were broader in size they had slightly more cover artwork than the American originals. You can look at Alan Class covers on Grand Comics Database then click the reprint ink to see the American original and compare the extra cover image. Creepy Worlds #54 is one good example with the tidal wave more advanced on the AC cover.
Abracadabra.................Yeh! I see what you mean.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

The Alan Class range of titles is screaming out for a nice well researched book on them

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
22 Sep 2021, 15:24
Really good point and the main reason why Alan Class is so collectible.I started collecting AC mags for pure nostalgic reasons and was surprised by the cost of many,which ultimately are just b and white re-prints.
The valuation,I believe,is often due to the expanded art on the cover.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There's an Alan Class cover featuring Iron Man where the face of a female (villainess?) that iron Man is rescuing has been changed from fear to happiness. Just checked and its Creepy Worlds 68 which uses the original cover art. The American version was changed by the comics code I think to make her look happy.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Captain underpants wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 15:07
The Alan Class range of titles is screaming out for a nice well researched book on them
Couldn’t agree more

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

There was a period when Charlton covers often had cover blurbs for competitions, blurbs which weren't there on overseas reprints, so showing more of the cover image. For example https://www.comics.org/issue/172176/ and https://www.comics.org/issue/333007/#1478390

jim244

Post by jim244 »

I read this lovely story about Alan Class a few years back.I'm not sure where I read it or would provide a link.
Basically Alan and his wife were walking down a street when Alan saw a comic book shop.
They both went in.
Alan asked the chap whether "Alan Class Comics" were something ever asked for,expecting that no-one would know anything of such.
The shop owner showed him a massive section devoted to Alan Class comics.
A tearful and delighted Alan then revealed who he was!!
This story (though similar to that advert for that novelist searching for his fishing book) is apparently true.
A more informed member of this forum can correct me on details,I'm vaguely remembering something I read many years ago.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

jim244 wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 06:37
I read this lovely story about Alan Class a few years back.I'm not sure where I read it or would provide a link.
Basically Alan and his wife were walking down a street when Alan saw a comic book shop.
They both went in.
Alan asked the chap whether "Alan Class Comics" were something ever asked for,expecting that no-one would know anything of such.
This story (though similar to that advert for that novelist searching for his fishing book) is apparently true.
A more informed member of this forum can correct me on details,I'm vaguely remembering something I read many years ago.
It’s a story Alan regularly tells along with his one about ripping the front cover off of FF #1!

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 11:53
jim244 wrote:
They both went in.
It’s a story Alan regularly tells along with his one about ripping the front cover off of FF #1!
I've read many times of the FF 1 cover story and never quite understood it.
AC comics had original artwork that often included more details than original US artwork due to book format.
And FF1 cover is on an AC mag,Creepy Worlds 32 I think??
How does this make sense?
Any ideas Adam ?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

jim244 wrote:
04 Aug 2023, 07:58
Adam Eterno wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 11:53
jim244 wrote:
They both went in.
I've read many times of the FF 1 cover story and never quite understood it.
AC comics had original artwork that often included more details than original US artwork due to book format.
And FF1 cover is on an AC mag,Creepy Worlds 32 I think??
How does this make sense?
Any ideas Adam ?
Apparently it was to show his printer what it should look like. Alan was/is a story teller, so who knows how true it is??

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

jim244 wrote:
They both went in.
Since Alan Class had a relationship with 30th Century Comics, I like to think the shop in question was their Putney shop. https://30thcenturycomics.co.uk/extras/alan-class/