Topper Comic

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hobbitses

Topper Comic

Post by Hobbitses »

Hi Everyone
I am looking for some help please.

I am trying to locate a copy of a Topper comic that had a competition result in it. The competition was to send in your best joke. My partner did at the grand age of about 8 he thinks and he won. I would love to get a copy of the comic with his joke in it. It was something about a what do you get if you cross a helicopter with jelly and the answer was a "jellycopter" - please note I am trying to remember what he said as I dont want to ask him.

Even if someone could identify the comic edition for me that would be awesome.

I am trying to get him an awesome Christmas gift as he talks about it a lot. Thank you.

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Topper Comic

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Hobbitses,
Given that the Topper comic ran for nearly 40 years I think you might have to tell us when your partner was eight years old.

Hobbitses

Post by Hobbitses »

Hi Sorry I did not realise that ok I think it was around 1980. I had guessed 8 as his age but I have asked some strange questions and worked out he was 9 so it would be 1980. I think he won a belt.

Really appreciate the help. Thank you.

Robbie Moubert

Post by Robbie Moubert »

Topper and Sparky (as it was then) gave away a belt as a consolation prize for readers whose submissions weren't actually published (they would list the consolation prize winners in each issue). Those readers who were published could also choose the belt instead of one of the six main prizes. They stopped giving away the belt some time in May/June 1980.

Hobbitses

Post by Hobbitses »

Hi Thank you for the help. I know his joke was in the magazine because that was all he cared about.
Is there a way to find out which issue it might have been? Or was it a weekly competition?