Collecting comics within a budget

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Collecting comics within a budget

Post by abacus »

Obviously if you spend loads of money you can gather a fantastic collection of comic related material.
For me collecting is a fun hobby where spending more than a £1 per item gives me pause for thought
I enjoy scouring the charity shops,carboot sales and markets trying to find those rare items.

Here are some examples from my own collection starting with comic books published by G.Swan including one by Robert Edwards.
The standard of artwork is hit and miss but they are still interesting.

Last edited by abacus on 25 Jan 2022, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

abacus

Re: Collecting comics within a budget

Post by abacus »

There are also reprints.
DC brought out millenium editions of rare comics featuring the debut of some of the super heroes.

I remember the day when I walked into an Oxfam shop and saw these comics priced 99p each.
There was the beginnings of Superman comic I didn't buy because I have a book of the early Superman newspaper strips and there were one or two others I left at the time which maybe I should have bought.
Anyway I finished up buying 15 of them.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

some lovely items there, and yep, the thrill of the chase and the love of a bargain def. make this a fun hobby
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

abacus

Post by abacus »

I used to buy illustrated classic comics as a youngster which were sold in the local newsagent and were my introduction to famous books.I have a few that's shown in the image below but have declined buying some that I thought were over priced.

Being an old timer the Acne comic was a suprise to me seeing that I didn't know it existed but finding such comics adds to the fun of collecting.

The Superman book shows the Sunday newspaper strips from 1939-1943

abacus

Post by abacus »

Finally there are the independant comic books.
These fairly large comic books shown have been mentioned before in this forum but they are well crafted.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

Those are some brilliant covers on those funny albums, Is the stuff inside them as good?

abacus

Post by abacus »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
21 Jan 2022, 22:08
Those are some brilliant covers on those funny albums, Is the stuff inside them as good?
The Russell books are llustrated novels in black/white comic strip form and remind me a bit of american comic artist Robert Crumb when he's not oncentratiing on those big boned girls.
I like these comic books but it's not for me to say how good they are as people have there own taste .You can see at the bottom of the image above I added snippets from the contents however I will post a clearer picture later today Just in case there is anyone else out there that who has read this far and is still awake.. :D

I may have made an error and I think you mean the first set of images above if that's the case the comics strips inside are generally below the standard of say the Beano that is to say if the Beano 's the premier leagure the funnies albums are more the championship or less.
Last edited by abacus on 22 Jan 2022, 20:49, edited 4 times in total.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Here's a couple of shots from the Russell books as a guide to the contents.

Artwork Pete Loveday

John Brown Publisher.

Camera shots not that clever.

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

I love the G G Swan comics! I've always been fascinated by them but have never seen any in real life sadly. I absolutely collect within a budget, for many years I called my comics the "pocky money collection" as everything was bought with pocket money. Naturally I'm a bit older now so no more pocket money but the idea remains. However living in New Zealand does mean we don't have as good a selection as in England and getting stuff posted over from UK can be expensive - I can find comics in 2nd hand stores but not everywhere and often they're 80's or newer. Nothing wrong with that of course and I buy plenty but I really love older comics and do occasionally find something special, such as my issue of New Fun #6 which I got for the equivalent of roughly five pounds (link below if you want to see some pics). I just wish I could find the occasional 1920s Film Fun or something...

https://whackycomics.blogspot.com/2016/ ... ition.html
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

abacus

Post by abacus »

George Shiers wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 16:19
I love the G G Swan comics! I've always been fascinated by them but have never seen any in real life sadly. I absolutely collect within a budget, for many years I called my comics the "pocky money collection" as everything was bought with pocket money. Naturally I'm a bit older now so no more pocket money but the idea remains. However living in New Zealand does mean we don't have as good a selection as in England and getting stuff posted over from UK can be expensive - I can find comics in 2nd hand stores but not everywhere and often they're 80's or newer. Nothing wrong with that of course and I buy plenty but I really love older comics and do occasionally find something special, such as my issue of New Fun #6 which I got for the equivalent of roughly five pounds (link below if you want to see some pics). I just wish I could find the occasional 1920s Film Fun or something...

https://whackycomics.blogspot.com/2016/ ... ition.html
Living in the UK doesn't make it that easy to find really old comics while working to a budget.
It was only a few years ago I found my first G.Swan book which was a bit of a suprise to me because I didn't expect to own one and the others followed fairly quickly with the last one bought a couple of years ago.

I can only think it comes about when collectors eventually have to sell their collections.

Like you mine is a pocket money collection a bit like putting a few pence on a lottery ticket purely for fun.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I very rarely see old comics in shops. I do see the occasional old annual from the 1950s but usually for comics I don't particularly like, like Lion and Radio Fun.

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

There are 7 charity shops in my small town centre I can’t recall seeing any pre 80s annuals or comics for many years, all you see are the rubbish modern books about games and tv shows. Last year was the worst year at boot sales for comics and annuals. Being recently retired I have a budget for comics which is often spent elsewhere. I have started to slowly go through my box’s of comics I keep finding comics and books I honestly don’t know I had which is great as I have plenty to enjoy.😀

abacus

Post by abacus »

Captain underpants wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 22:03
There are 7 charity shops in my small town centre I can’t recall seeing any pre 80s annuals or comics for many years, all you see are the rubbish modern books about games and tv shows. Last year was the worst year at boot sales for comics and annuals. Being recently retired I have a budget for comics which is often spent elsewhere. I have started to slowly go through my box’s of comics I keep finding comics and books I honestly don’t know I had which is great as I have plenty to enjoy.😀
I can relate to that I was making more room for comics the other day and found one or two books I didn't know I had.

I remember I was in a charity shop one day and the shop assistant was sorting through some books that had been delivered and showing me an old story book asked me how old I thought it might be and judging by the pictures I told her probably 1930s.
l then asked her if they got many old books to which she replied they were normally shown to the manager and ended up on Ebay.
It then occured to me there would be little hope of finding anything of value in this shop.

Looking at the news , what did people expect ? they voted for the Tory Party or the Labour Party. :D

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Ah interesting. In my imagination I'd envisioned the UK as easy to buy old comics in 2nd hand shops! I suppose my knowledge is skewed by people on this forum only showing off their best finds...
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I see old issues of 2000AD sold quite a bit in comics shops. But they aren't really my cup of tea.