Question from from US(EastCoast)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

OldGeyser69

Question from from US(EastCoast)

Post by OldGeyser69 »

Hello All,
Ref:- Jemlet \ Gimlet . . Tunnel boring machine
Between 1965 & 1969, I was an avid comic Reader
"Champion", "Lion&Champion", "Lion& Thunder" and my younger brothers "Dandy" and there were various others "Hotspur" etc
There was a comic strip about :-
2 guys and a tunnel boring machine [Long before actual tunnel boring machines were invented]
This machine and it's occupants, on board, could drill through the earth, travelling from point "A" to Point "B"
Short Cut to Australia perhaps. . . .
Imagine a cylindrical Cabin structure, with Cork screw like attachments on both ends [Again if my 69 Yr old brain remembers correctly]
The machine as i recall, was called a "Gimlet" ["NOT" MrGimlet] \ Jemlet Or someting that rhymes or sounds like "Jemlet"
I bought various issues of the above mentioned comics, but could not find that story line.

Q1/ Does this Scenario ring a bell with anyone?
If so, -- a comic name \ date range would be appreciated.
or perhaps even a snapshot (.Jpg) from one you already own, would be fab.

Sidebar Question:-What forum should i join to find info on a 70's UK "Car Mag"
Similar situation -- Looking for an article that appeared in "Auto Enthuasist" back then.

Apologies for the questions' - Now living across the pond, some 40+ yrs removed from the UK scene
Thanks All
OldGeyser69

Richard S.

Re: Question from from US(EastCoast)

Post by Richard S. »

Had a quick look in 'Lion - king of story papers' book by Steve Holland but couldn't see anything that would help. It would help to know if...
a). was this a text story or comic strip?
b). if a comic strip then was it a straight adventure style story or a comedy sort of strip?
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

OldGeyser69

Post by OldGeyser69 »

Hello,
Comic strip, with vivid illustration.
Sadly my memory, cannot recall more.
No:- Not a comedy strip.
Yes:- possibly best described as Adventurous in nature
I did stray now & then from my comic staple :-- -- --Champion\Lion & Champion\Lion & thunder
to issues such as Hotspur etc
So i can't say with 100% certainty, which comic mag the strip was from.
I wish i could add more . . .
Thanks for responding
OldGeyser69

starscape

Post by starscape »

Sounds like the Black Sapper from Hotspur, although he called his the Worm. http://www.victorhornetcomics.co.uk/sapper.html
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

The Black Sapper was a real long runner. It first appeared as a text story in the Rover in 1929. 30 years later (1959) it appeared in the Beezer as an adventure strip (according to the excellent Book of the Beezer). If its in the Hotspur in 1972, thats over 40 years! It must be one of the longest running of Dc Thomson's adventure stories.

I read its appearance in one of the Beezer book's a few months ago. Its no wonder this post sounded so familiar but I couldnt quite think of what story it was.

After a bit more digging I found an appearance of the Black Dagger in issue 20 of a comic called Red Dagger which ran from 1979 to 1984 and lasted only 30 issues. Meaning the Black Sapper's first and last appearances were at least 50 years apart. Even longer than I expected :D

starscape

Post by starscape »

Red Dagger collected stories from Hotspur. He was only in one issue but it was a cracking issue.
Quite often weeklies don't stand up when they are collected but this one did (as did Smasher - another one that appeared decades ago before it became popular in Bullet)
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

OldGeyser69

Post by OldGeyser69 »

Many thanks to “Richard S” \ “StarsCape” \ “Tin Can Tommy”
For responding
The illustrated image provided by Starscape of said tunnel boring machine is vividly close to my recollection from way back then.

What puzzles me is the name “Gimlet” which was embedded in my head for so long. I searched using this term for some 20 years, before I recently became aware of this forum dedicated to fans in the comic world.

Apologies for the delay in responding, besides a time zone difference, it appears this forum does not send email notifications to the “OP” when a post has been responded to.
Or perhaps, it is I, who missed a setting or switch.

By chance would anyone be aware of a forum which deals with older U.K. automotive publications
Looking for “Auto Enthusiast”, cover picture:- Hillman Avenger(possibly a Tiger 1500), Time frame somewhere between 71-73
Again, I thank you all for taking the time!!
OldGeyser69

RakshasaSakkara

Post by RakshasaSakkara »

Tulip's Rock Gimlet appeared in various Gerald G. Swan comics including Cute Fun Album, Dynamic Thrills and Funnies Album.
Funnies Album 1949 can be found on Comic Book Plus - https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2725