DC Thomson cut 300 jobs and close down some titles

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

DC Thomson cut 300 jobs and close down some titles

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like DC Thomson are in trouble. They've just made 300 staff redundant, and announced that Shout, Animals & You, Animal Planet, Living, Platinum and Evergreen magazines are closing. Apparently there's a £10m shortfall. Beano looks safe for now, but I'm worried the whole company could go under.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64581579

alanultron5

Re: DC Thomson cut 300 jobs and close down some titles

Post by alanultron5 »

Sadly, it is a sign of the times.
A Face unclouded by thought.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I'm surprised about Animals & You. That magazine must've been running for over 20 years. I remember adverts for it in the Beano back in the early 2000s. I can't find much chatter about the magazine online. But I guess it was mostly read by very young children.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The signs were there when the Weekly News closed a few years ago after about 160 years of publication. Very sad. Their distribution is at fault as I always had trouble finding a copy and the same with Commando which you only find in the odd WH Smith store.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

stevezodiac wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 09:36
The signs were there when the Weekly News closed a few years ago after about 160 years of publication. Very sad. Their distribution is at fault as I always had trouble finding a copy and the same with Commando which you only find in the odd WH Smith store.
Really good point Steve,I was shocked to not find Commando in New Malden WH Smiths last weekend as always found it in every Smiths' in the past.What's going on??? Does not bode well.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I always see them in Smiths at Lewisham, I subscribed for a few years but they started to take over my bedroom, would have preferred to subscribe for only the new issues and not the reprints.