The Dr Who Comic Strip from 1964 - Present

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

jim244

The Dr Who Comic Strip from 1964 - Present

Post by jim244 »

With notable exceptions,such as Annuals and Titan etc;the Dr Who comic strip debuted in November 1964 in Tv Comic,moved to Countdown in 1971,returned to Tv Comic in 1973 then moved to Dr Who Magazine (then known as Dr Who Weekly) in 1979.
So is 59 years old.
It can and should be seen as a continuous story.
Longest running comic strip in the UK other than humour material ie Beano etc.
My personal favourite period of the strip was 71-75 but I do love a lot of Neville Mains' work on the first doctor.
Does anybody else enjoy this strip and have a favourite period/artist etc?

Stevendoig

Re: The Dr Who Comic Strip from 1964 - Present

Post by Stevendoig »

Love most of the strips from countdown/TV action. :)

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Love the strip. Used to have loads of those comics in my collection once. In fact. Before I started collecting 1930s/40s Beano & Dandy comics was a moderator on a well known Doctor Who website and literally had an attic full of memorabilia from the 60s to the 2005 reboot onwards. Still got loads of items, autographed prints, signed videos & DVDs, with my favourite being the two the cast signed ' Return to Devil's end' videos. πŸ˜ŽπŸ“˜
Well, hello there! :wave:

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Stevendoig wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2023, 14:15
Love most of the strips from countdown/TV action. :)
When the strip returned to TV Comic it kept two of the main people that had produced a lot of Dr Who at Countdown, artist and writer of the Countdown/TV Action strips;Gerry Haylock and Dennis Hooper.
So in September 1973,when Dr Who went back to TV Comic,the stories were of the same quality as the Countdown era.
People so often speak of the Countdown era being their favourite but are unaware that the strip continued in the same style by the same people of the same quality for a further two years!!
Bizzare but true!!!

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote: ↑
05 Aug 2023, 14:40
Love the strip. Used to have loads of those comics in my collection once. In fact. Before I started collecting 1930s/40s Beano & Dandy comics was a moderator on a well known Doctor Who website and literally had an attic full of memorabilia from the 60s to the 2005 reboot onwards. Still got loads of items, autographed prints, signed videos & DVDs, with my favourite being the two the cast signed ' Return to Devil's end' videos. πŸ˜ŽπŸ“˜
A fellow Who fan. :D
I also once had a huge collection including scripts from my mates Dad who was a BBC cameraman,autographs etc.I still have a massive collection of the comic strips from 60s/70s/80s and everything on DVD (If the story is missing,get a telesnaps dvd with great cover).
I have purchased complete BBC audio range of missing episodes so while I do get the "dodgy" dvds,I pay for as many official releases as exist therefore always making sure that actors are paid but I digress...........
My favourite 5 strips over 59 years,in no order,are the following:
1: "Backtime" (1971-Countdown)
2: "The Iron Legion" (1979 -Dr Who Weekly)
3: "The Night Walkers" (1969 - Tv Comic)
4: "A Christmas Story" (1965 - Tv Comic)
5: "The Amateur" (1973 - TV Comic plus TV Action)

Anyone else have any fave DR Who strips?

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Yeah, big Who fan is an understatement. Like you have loads of autographs, signed videos & DVDs, also every DVDs produced including fan made recons. I collected every forbidden planet, Tesco's exclusive figures & playsets, had at one point six Time Crash 100 sets including the two 5th Doctor toy fair figures with celery.

I also Sourced from my childhood four Palitoy TARDIS playsets. Two Daleks one red , one silver. Had the 1965 William Hartnell, Have-a-Show Dalek slide projector by Chad Valley. The ultra-rare Tom Baker recalled Gaf master viewer etc..

I collected so much my attic at one point was was reminiscent of a Toys R Us stock room. And I'm not kidding. Sadly I only sold my collection because my roof needed work and I had nowhere to store them. And my only regret was selling my Forbidden Planet exclusive classic figures in 2015. Loved those. Personally I prefer classic Doctor Who over the modern stuff. πŸ™‚

jim244

Post by jim244 »

06 Aug 2023, 13:54
Yeah, big Who fan is an understatement. Like you have loads of autographs, signed videos & DVDs, also every DVDs produced including fan made recons. I collected every forbidden planet, Tesco's exclusive figures & playsets, had at one point six Time Crash 100 sets including the two 5th Doctor toy fair figures with celery.

I also Sourced from my childhood four Palitoy TARDIS playsets. Two Daleks one red , one silver. Had the 1965 William Hartnell, Have-a-Show Dalek slide projector by Chad Valley. The ultra-rare Tom Baker recalled Gaf master viewer etc..

I collected so much my attic at one point was was reminiscent of a Toys R Us stock room. And I'm not kidding. Sadly I only sold my collection because my roof needed work and I had nowhere to store them. And my only regret was selling my Forbidden Planet exclusive classic figures in 2015. Loved those. Personally I prefer classic Doctor Who over the modern stuff. πŸ™‚
Fantastic collection Sir!!
I had the red dalek and Denys Fischer Tardis as a child but not as an adult;would love to get these.
Bought slides from the Hartnell projector but don't have the projector and only have 6 slides.
I also vastly prefer the original series but enjoyed Capaldi very much.
I have every Polystyle comic strip,many original TV Comics/Countdowns but also had to download and print some off.
I would not encourage such and still seek the originals but I wanted to complete my collection.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

jim244 wrote: ↑
13 Aug 2023, 05:51

I had the red dalek and Denys Fischer Tardis as a child but not as an adult;would love to get these.
Bought slides from the Hartnell projector but don't have the projector and only have 6 slides.
I have every Polystyle comic strip,many original TV Comics/Countdowns but also had to download and print some off.
I would not encourage such and still seek the originals but I wanted to complete my collection.
Thanks jim224. Yeah, it's not that I dislike the modern era, there was some great stories, but to me classic Doctor Who was more gritty and dark. I've even warmed to the McCoy era over the years even though I was initially unsure when the BBC made McCoy play the role like a court jester then introduced a liquorice allsorts monster into the equation lol . πŸ€”

Anyway, my favourite Doctors were Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker. Pertwee for his theatrical James Bond approach to the role and Tom Baker for his wide eyed crazy sane persona.

The Chad Valley projector was lovely. Took me five years to source one. The box itself had some great cover graphics with Hartnell, Tardis, Daleks & Zarb all featuring. All slides were present, although slightly warped with age, and even the projector bulb worked. They really made some nice toys in the 1960s.

Coincidentally, on Amazon someone is selling a 1964 Chad Valley Doctor Who projector. Bit pricey I know but check it out. πŸ™‚

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DOCTOR-WHO-Pro ... B06XT3C5XV

jim244

Post by jim244 »

13 Aug 2023, 17:38

Thanks jim224. Yeah, it's not that I dislike the modern era, there was some great stories, but to me classic Doctor Who was more gritty and dark. I've even warmed to the McCoy era over the years even though I was initially unsure when the BBC made McCoy play the role like a court jester then introduced a liquorice allsorts monster into the equation lol . πŸ€”

Anyway, my favourite Doctors were Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker. Pertwee for his theatrical James Bond approach to the role and Tom Baker for his wide eyed crazy sane persona.

The Chad Valley projector was lovely. Took me five years to source one. The box itself had some great cover graphics with Hartnell, Tardis, Daleks & Zarb all featuring. All slides were present, although slightly warped with age, and even the projector bulb worked. They really made some nice toys in the 1960s.

Coincidentally, on Amazon someone is selling a 1964 Chad Valley Doctor Who projector. Bit pricey I know but check it out. πŸ™‚

Oh I'm so tempted to buy this !!!!!
Not a bad price for this item to be fair.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

13 Aug 2023, 17:38

I first watched Pertwee,grew up with Baker and Davidson.
Once the BBC VHS range started,I realised I loved Hartnells' portrayal.
Wasn't a fan of pantomime Sylvester McCoy but have since re-evaluated his era on DVD and found much to love ie Ghost Light,Curse of Fenrick etc.
Everyone puts poor Mr C Baker down and yet he was absolutely wonderful in many stories,just let down by Twin Dilemma and a silly costume.
That Patrick chap wasn't too shabby either.
Marvellous fellows,all of them !!