Max Miller

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Max Miller

Post by Hawkeye »

Can someone please tell me who drew the Max Miller cartoon strips in Film Fun back in the 30s/40s

thanks

Goof

Re: Max Miller

Post by Goof »

Denis Gifford thought it was George Wakefield. Lambiek also credits him as the artist.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I'll investigate George Wakefield further, thank you very much for your help.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Hawkeye,
Definitely George Wakefield and then his son Terry Wakefield, after the formers death in 1942. Terry's style was very imitative of his father's and he often filled in for his dad even before his death. Between them the two Wakefields were very much the most familiar artistic face of Film Fun for most of its life.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Kashgar wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 22:30
Hi Hawkeye,
Definitely George Wakefield and then his son Terry Wakefield, after the formers death in 1942. Terry's style was very imitative of his father's and he often filled in for his dad even before his death. Between them the two Wakefields were very much the most familiar artistic face of Film Fun for most of its life.
Thank you very much.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

You're welcome. They were most famous of course for drawing Laurel and Hardy for nearly thirty years.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have hundreds of rough Film Fun strips drawn by Wally Robertson. At first I thought they were roughs before submitting the completed art but later realised they were scripts which editors preferred to be submitted sketched out. It looks like he submitted scripts for just about every strip including Max Miller. I'm having trouble uploading the images from my phone to my tablet.

Wally was Scottish but lived in Orpington, Kent and I went past his house last week on a bus from the station. (His address is on the back of some of the scripts)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:
27 Sep 2023, 16:49
https://photos.app.goo.gl/j2E4SooNKxbL2keAA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MpxRaLGHYZMreSbL7

Here's a couple of links to Max Miller roughs.
Thanks for the links, very interesting.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Wally was very good at drawing in the style of other artists so would fill in on strips when the normal artist was away.