My grandmother wrote for girls' comics in the 1950s-60s. Trying to find her work!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Re: My grandmother wrote for girls' comics in the 1950s-60s. Trying to find her work!

Post by stevezodiac »

A seller on eBay has 84 issues of Girls' Crystal on dvd. One of the stories shown has a girl named Enid Travers.

samuelvictor

Re: My grandmother wrote for girls' comics in the 1950s-60s. Trying to find her work!

Post by samuelvictor »

I really do very much appreciate everyone's input and help with this, especially as we are at such a busy time of year! Many thanks to everyone so far and happy holidays to you all :cheers:
Adam Eterno wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 11:52
Two more experts have come back to me. Phil Ruston says: I'd have said that School Friend, Girls' Crystal, Girl (and maybe Bunty) are the only really likely candidates since any other girls' titles that were launched in the 1950s tended to have a Romance theme from the beginning. Also, the publishers of the first three comics underwent major editorial changes in late 1959 which impacted on their content and creative personel significantly.
That's exciting, thank you! From the small amount of research I'd done, School Friend and Girls' Crystal were at the top of my list for candidates, and my dad seemed to think Girl was a strong consideration (or Robin as a posibility, if the stories were aimed at younger readers than we've been imagining), and yes I'd also reached the conclusion that the editorial changes in that time would fit the rough timeline we are working with. Its helpful to know that others, more knowledgable than me, agree with my logic.
Adam Eterno wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 11:54
Peter Hansen says: I have the ledgers of work by women and men from the 30’s to the mid sixties! Only problem is that I am in Canada and my ledgers are in the UK!! 🤔☹️ I’ve asked him when he’s due back next and what comics the ledgers cover. Knowing Peter, it will be them all!
That's fantastic news! No hurry, would love to have any input when he is back, when he has time!
stevezodiac wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 17:30
A seller on eBay has 84 issues of Girls' Crystal on dvd. One of the stories shown has a girl named Enid Travers.
Interesting, thank you! I'll look into that, and also mention "Enid Travers" as a possibility to my dad and aunt when I speak to them. Also thank you for your suggestion of Phoenix being potentially able to help!