Anyone remember these obscure comic stories?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

potless

Anyone remember these obscure comic stories?

Post by potless »

I have a challenge for the knowledgeable members of the forum.... way back (around 1963 or thereabouts) I remember my mum buying me a comic (title unknown) which had two stories (by characters unknown) the images of which have been stuck in my mind ever since....

The first story was about the main characters being in possession of a "fib detector", which consisted of a box with a large, gramophone style horn, which would blare out "Fib! Fib! Fib!" over and over. I have an image of Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy in my mind, and I have searched as many Augie Doggie sstories as I can, with no results so far, but the characters COULD have been British. (N.B. the Bash Street Kids had a story which featured a Fib Detector in 1985, but this is not the one I am searching for!)

The second mystery story concerns the main characters dealing with a pair of strange-looking robots: one looking like a rectangular slab with a speaker mouth and possibly meters for eyes, the other being triangular in shape. Both end up malfunctioning, and I remember the sound effect "ZZIT" is seen as they go out of control. Donald Duck comes to mind, but again I have searched virtually all of his comic book canon with no luck!

I have the impression that both stories were in the same comic - I may be wrong of course. If the characters were American, they must have been in a British version of a US comic, possibly a Summer Special, as we were in Great Yarmouth when I received the comic.

A lot to take in I know, but any information would be greatly appreciated!