Page 1 of 2

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 01:05
by Shaqui
Brain picking time... any ideas who the artist for these Letraset transfer sets are - dates from early 70s.

[img:384:546]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/ ... planet.jpg[/img]

[img:385:546]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/ ... sorium.jpg[/img]

8)

Re: Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 02:04
by Lew Stringer
Shaqui wrote:Brain picking time... any ideas who the artist for these Letraset transfer sets are - dates from early 70s.
No idea I'm afraid but I just wanted to say thanks for uploading that Red Planet strip. I had the English language version of that Letraset "Super Action Transfers" (as I believe they were called?) way back in 1971 (?). Thrown away decades ago I'd completely forgotten about it until tonight!

Lew

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 06 Nov 2006, 10:13
by HighAndMighty
Thanks for posting that, Shaqui- I'd completely forgotten about these and will now bask in a warm glow of nostalgia for the rest of the day :D

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 00:16
by philcom55
I don't know about the second page but to me the first one looks a bit like Frank Langford, who seemed to end up with the lion's share of lucrative advertising work at the time in spite of a relatively slapdash style.

- Phil Rushton

Re: Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 16:55
by johnfreeman96
philcom55 wrote:I don't know about the second page but to me the first one looks a bit like Frank Langford, who seemed to end up with the lion's share of lucrative advertising work at the time in spite of a relatively slapdash style.

- Phil Rushton
Looks like it to me, too... have you tried contacting Letraset? (https://www.letraset.com/shopcustcontac ... tn=default)

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 17:25
by Gary Northfield
Gosh, it all comes flooding back...

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/atranges.html


I remember this one very well as I made everyone fall down the big crack in the earth.

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/quake.html

Re: Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 18:14
by johnfreeman96
Gary Northfield wrote:Gosh, it all comes flooding back...

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/atranges.html


I remember this one very well as I made everyone fall down the big crack in the earth.

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/quake.html
oh, good gravy... no! tell me this is just a dream :D

Re: Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 18:46
by Lew Stringer
johnfreeman96 wrote:
Gary Northfield wrote:Gosh, it all comes flooding back...

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/atranges.html


I remember this one very well as I made everyone fall down the big crack in the earth.

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/quake.html
oh, good gravy... no! tell me this is just a dream :D

Good Lord! (Choke!)

I'd forgotten what freedoms toy manufacturers had just a few decades ago. Imagine the outcry if that was published today!

Lew

Letraset (Not exactly comics but does anyone...)

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 19:02
by johnfreeman96
As I've just posted elsewhere having marvelled at the wonderful site above, my lasting memory of letraset (apart from action transfers and cursing an inevitable lack of "e"s and other vowels while pasting up Doctor Who Monthly) was of a university porter trying to steal some from the student newspaper office where I happened to be sleeping, back when I was that paper's editor.

He wanted it for his scout troop newsletter. Some scout leader, hey?

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 19:38
by Cap Haggis
Wonderful memories from that link I def remeber these and the smell of the sheets (letraset sheets) for some reason used to have great fun with them - are these sets now no more? - Would agree that hte art if Frank Langford

Re: Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 20:57
by colcool007
johnfreeman96 wrote:
Gary Northfield wrote:Gosh, it all comes flooding back...

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/atranges.html


I remember this one very well as I made everyone fall down the big crack in the earth.

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/quake.html
oh, good gravy... no! tell me this is just a dream :D
I have fallen asleep and have gone back in time 30 years! I had the Star Trek letraset and had great fun putting everyone into a defensive circle! :lol:

Re: Letraset (Not exactly comics but does anyone...)

Posted: 07 Nov 2006, 21:01
by Lew Stringer
johnfreeman96 wrote:As I've just posted elsewhere having marvelled at the wonderful site above, my lasting memory of letraset (apart from action transfers and cursing an inevitable lack of "e"s and other vowels while pasting up Doctor Who Monthly) was of a university porter trying to steal some from the student newspaper office where I happened to be sleeping, back when I was that paper's editor.

He wanted it for his scout troop newsletter. Some scout leader, hey?

I remember using Letraset for the headlines in the fanzines I did in the late 70s/ early 80s, and browsing through the Letraset catalogue wishing I could afford all those great fonts. Now we get all of them free on our computers. And we never run out of vowels!
8)

Lew

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 08 Nov 2006, 10:43
by kevf
I agree that it could be Frank Langford. He did loads of advertising work and his ad used to be a regular fixture in Creative Review.

He and a guy called, I think, John Richardson cornered the "looks like a comic strip" illustration market

(which I'm doing a bit of myself these days:
"can you draw us a superhero?"
"what sort?"
"doesn't matter, any style you like, oh and can we pay you four times as much as The Beano?"
"oh go on then".
I pick up a job like that every other year, wish they were more frequent. Currently doing one for an online marketing campaign for 'Solution Profiler' and 'Improve Customer Relations programme' - oh it makes you lose the will to live, but it pays.)

Kev F

Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 08 Nov 2006, 10:47
by kevf
Looking again, I don't think it's Frank Langford after all. I think it's a French artist.

Parce que les captions sont en Francais, et je pense que Letraset est une companie Francais aussi. (Oui, je crois que je ne parle pas Francais, mais j'avais une stab).

Kev F

Re: Not exactly comics but does anyone know who the artist?

Posted: 08 Nov 2006, 11:41
by Lew Stringer
kevf wrote:Looking again, I don't think it's Frank Langford after all. I think it's a French artist.

Yes, Frank Langford had a much thicker line than that. Unless he was trying out a pen instead of a brush when he did that one I don't think it's by him.

Lew