Great British Comics Interview

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

philcom55

Great British Comics Interview

Post by philcom55 »

I don't know if anyone else was up at such an ungodly hour, but there was a really nice interview with Paul Gravett about his new Great British Comics book on BBC Radio 5's 'Up All Night' at about 3.40 this morning (presumably this should be available online through one of the Beeb's 'Play Again' facilities). It was made all the more interesting by the fact that the interviewer, Dotun Adebayo, had himself once been the publisher of the 'Black Viz' Skank.

Great British Comics really is a lovely book and I can't recommend it enough - but one thing that has surprised me is the fact that to date so few shops seem to be stocking it, even though their shelves are loaded with The Best of Girl, Jackie, My Guy, etc. It's such a shame as I can't help but feel it would easily become a best-seller in the run-up to Christmas, if the general public actually got to see it!

For all his faults Denis Gifford did an enormous amount to celebrate the rich history of Britain's comics, but the nice thing about Gravett is that his 'facts' tend to be almost 100% reliable; which makes it all the more ironic that the image with which this volume begins - a marvelous photograph of two girls reading comics at an open-air swimming pool in the mid-1950s - bears the following caption:
The Beezer that the girl on the left is reading, dated 12 May 1955, was a new weekly giant-size title launched in January 1956 (!)
...Those pesky Time Lords have a lot to answer for! :P

- Phil Rushton (who was just 12 days old on the date in question!)

Shaqui

Re: Great British Comics Interview

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Great British Comics really is a lovely book and I can't recommend it enough - but one thing that has surprised me is the fact that to date so few shops seem to be stocking it, even though their shelves are loaded with The Best of Girl, Jackie, My Guy, etc. It's such a shame as I can't help but feel it would easily become a best-seller in the run-up to Christmas, if the general public actually got to see it!
I was at Colindale yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to see this on the reference shelves! Denied the opportunity to flick through it in any nearby bookshop (for reasons Phil lists above :x ) I was able to see what an obvious labour of love this is, and - goddammit - each page illustration credits the writer and artist where known! That alone is worth the price of admission, and a stop at the Borders store opposite Brent Cross revealed a few copies on the shelf so I snapped up a copy! Even Kim Stevens, my website partner-in-crime (as the BL staff refer to him as!) was impressed and later found flicking through the pages in deep interest!

So... thank BL for snapping up a really good reference book, and thanks to Paul and Peter for the only comic book in recent years to rival Denis Gifford's 'International Book of Comics'!

:D