Is anyone still reading 2000AD?

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

paw broon

Re: Is anyone still reading 2000AD?

Post by paw broon »

I haven't bought or read 2000AD for years. I started buying it at #2 because I couldn't find #1 and I was a huge fan for yonks, to the extent that I rushed into print with glowing praise for it in "aka", the Scottish fanzine. (Named after the comic shop, which I helped run) I remember a critique of the Walter elevator story (which might have been in an annual?) which elicited a lovely reply from Will Eisner. But as time wore on, I became less enthusiastic about the content 'till I just stopped reading it,then stopped buying it. Perhaps I should shell out some hard earned cash and try the comic again. I know that most of the old creators, many of whom I had the chance to meet socially, are gone but I'd be intrigued to discover if there are new creators who might entertain me.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Ahh AKA comic shop I loved it a great wee place in the old school comic shop format very much missed (even picked up the odd issue of AKA) Re 2000AD I was never really that into 2000ad when it first appeared, at the time it came out I was about 16/17 and for comics was more into US Mags like Heavy Metal (we all go through that stage lol) Conan, Dracula Lives, Corbens work and undergrounds like Crumb, Bode etc - The only recent strips in 2000AD I have followed was Clint Langley's amazing work on the ABC Warriors & Slaine (there's also been some others great work but for me too much "padding") I don't think the weekly format is that good for 2000AD anymore as it seems to be aiming for "older" readers (with its sweary words lol) I think the humours been taken out in most cases and needs that put back in for the weekly.

Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

Hi folks. First of all sorry for this re-visit of an old thread which I would like to blame on my "newbieness."

I was just wondering what the current take on 2000Ad was?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Welcome Prodigal. I think you will find that most of us are liking the fact that 2000AD is still going but most of us are no longer readers.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I actually chucked away a load from circa 2007 - 10 recently, just keeping ones with Origins, Origins Interludes and Chairoscuro in. Plus particularly good Dredd one-offs (the one with the redesigned, semi-automated uniform with a fashion designer's personality for instance. "Look on the bright side, when you get out, that shirt might be fashionable again!"). I have the odd look in the shops now and then, to see if there's a good story going.

Also, a new Sinister Dexter collection needs to hurry up!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Like most comics, I find it's written for the trade, even when it's not collected. In the past, you could pick it up and, even though you might not enjoy it as much as a regular (and I've gone in and out of that), it's still fun. I wish it hadn't but it's just moved too far from me now.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Prodigal

Post by Prodigal »

colcool007 wrote:Welcome Prodigal. I think you will find that most of us are liking the fact that 2000AD is still going but most of us are no longer readers.
Thanks colcool007. I appreciate the welcome.

I got a sense of that as regards 2000Ad as I perused the forum. Can I ask what the reasons are for that. I appreciate everyone will have their own subjective take on it but are there any common strands as to why?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:Welcome Prodigal. I think you will find that most of us are liking the fact that 2000AD is still going but most of us are no longer readers.
I'm still a reader. Haven't missed an issue since 1977, and I still love it, for the most part. It has basically grown up with its audience out of necessity, so it's not quite the same comic it used to be but it's still generally pretty good.

Kid Robson

Post by Kid Robson »

I wasn't too surprised to find out that it sells only around 15,000 a week these days. It's kept alive merely to exploit the properties in movies and games, but one would think that the profit margin on the actual comic must be incredibly low.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Kid Robson wrote:It's kept alive merely to exploit the properties in movies and games,
That is not a mark against the title, in any way. :)

Not reading the title at present, but I have been buying it until recently. There's still a lot more imagination in the comic than a comic which has been around for so long has any right to have. About a fifteen or sixteen years ago, when it was going through some weirdness, I had expected the glory days were behind 2000 A.D., but it keeps surprising me. Zombo, in particular, shows that chances are still being taken.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Kid Robson wrote:I wasn't too surprised to find out that it sells only around 15,000 a week these days. It's kept alive merely to exploit the properties in movies and games, but one would think that the profit margin on the actual comic must be incredibly low.
That's still pretty good in comparison with a lot of American comics these days.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think Rebellion is doing well with it. The multiplicity of books, of better quality than those Titan did back in the 90s, suggests that they think that even with that level of sales, it is worth doing - and judging by the content, they think it is worth doing well.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

yes, every week. John Wagner is back doing Dredd, I'm thoroughly enjoying "Outlier" at the moment, and I'm so-so with the new Slaine story but, overall, it's a thumbs up.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

geoff42 wrote:yes, every week. John Wagner is back doing Dredd, I'm thoroughly enjoying "Outlier" at the moment, and I'm so-so with the new Slaine story but, overall, it's a thumbs up.
Slaine is one character I have never understood the appeal of.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

tony ingram wrote:Slaine is one character I have never understood the appeal of.
Slaine's stories are unfailingly clever and imaginative, and they have featured some amazing artwork over the years - but I must admit that I've always found it hard to actually like the central character. When you get right down to it he's basically Captain Hurricane with an axe! :?

Maybe it's a celtic thing...?

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 22 May 2014, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.