Dan Dare - Space Hyper Hero

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

SID

Re: Dan Dare - Space Hyper Hero

Post by SID »

The second volume is coming out later this year and I have pre-ordered it on Amazon.

Has got a nice Ian Kennedy cover BTW.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

I'm currently reading 2000 ad from its early days and, i'm afraid, Dan Dare does pale in comparison to its contemporary strips of same publication. Flesh and Invasion are the early champions of 2000 ad with Dare trailing behind Harlem Heroes and Dredd. I have to say, after first ten issues, Dredd is very uninspired and quite pedestrian. Of course, I know, how epic this anti-hero becomes. Still, he was not an instant hit. MACH 1 was the hero of 1977...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:The second volume is coming out later this year and I have pre-ordered it on Amazon.

Has got a nice Ian Kennedy cover BTW.
I am currently working on a review of that volume! It is a weighty tomb for sure.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

colcool007 wrote:...It is a weighty tomb for sure.
Funnily enough I remember Kev O'Neill saying that everybody hated having to keep reinventing Dan Dare when Frank Hampson's version was so obviously definitive - so much so in fact that at one point he suggested they should kill the series off once and for all with a tombstone on the cover promising that henceforth Dan Dare would be allowed to 'Rest in Peace'!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:It is a weighty tomb for sure.
philcom55 wrote:in fact that at one point he suggested they should kill the series off once and for all with a tombstone on the cover promising that henceforth Dan Dare would be allowed to 'Rest in Peace'!
Humour where it is least expected. Don't you just love it? :lol:

starscape

Post by starscape »

I have to say, I thought the Biogs story was a real highlight of 2000AD. I definitely preferred that version to the stuffed shirt of the Eagle. The new Eagle was a decent compromise of the old but a bit more exciting. The stories were a little young for me but enjoyable enough.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies