Issue 1961

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Issue 1961

Post by colcool007 »

For those that don't already know, Rebellion have worked a small miracle and the cover for issue 1961 will be a wraparound by the legend that is Ian Kennedy. It's only been 30 years since his last one...

You can read more about it in this Down The Tubes article.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Issue 1961

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hmmm....what" s 1961 upside-down, then?

---------and if 1881 was the previous yearvto achieve the same result, then what is the NEXT year after 1961 to work the same way?

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Good to hear, col; having come across his good solid art in an issue of Battle way back in 1975; it's nice to know that he's contributing to an icon of this era. It warms the heart, it does.

SID

Post by SID »

geoff42 wrote:Good to hear, col; having come across his good solid art in an issue of Battle way back in 1975; it's nice to know that he's contributing to an icon of this era. It warms the heart, it does.
Ian regularly contributes to another icon of this era, Geoff - Commando. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Hi, Sid, I must admit that Commando has never really attracted my attention. Perhaps because there are too many to collect. Are there four issues that are published every month, which basically would make it a weekly? How are the present stories - have they matured in the same way as 2000 AD has? I only ask in view of the old war comics that have long deceased - Warlord and Battle. What is it that stimulates Commando's longevity - has it such a strong fan base that keeps it going? Whatever the explanation, hats off!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

geoff42 wrote:Hi, Sid, I must admit that Commando has never really attracted my attention. Perhaps because there are too many to collect. Are there four issues that are published every month, which basically would make it a weekly? How are the present stories - have they matured in the same way as 2000 AD has? I only ask in view of the old war comics that have long deceased - Warlord and Battle. What is it that stimulates Commando's longevity - has it such a strong fan base that keeps it going? Whatever the explanation, hats off!
There are four issues of Commando published every fortnight. Two of each four are reprint. Format and tone of the stories is the same as it's been since 1961. I understand it's mostly bought by "squaddies and ex-army types" according to newsagents I've spoken to over the years.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Lew Stringer wrote:
geoff42 wrote:Hi, Sid, I must admit that Commando has never really attracted my attention. Perhaps because there are too many to collect. Are there four issues that are published every month, which basically would make it a weekly? How are the present stories - have they matured in the same way as 2000 AD has? I only ask in view of the old war comics that have long deceased - Warlord and Battle. What is it that stimulates Commando's longevity - has it such a strong fan base that keeps it going? Whatever the explanation, hats off!
There are four issues of Commando published every fortnight. Two of each four are reprint. Format and tone of the stories is the same as it's been since 1961. I understand it's mostly bought by "squaddies and ex-army types" according to newsagents I've spoken to over the years.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol: To be honest, ex-forces personnel do make up a percentage of the fans, but they are not the only ones. I belong to a Commando comics group on social media and there are only 5 or 6 out of 318 that I am aware of having a forces connection.

One of my friends' has a son that loves Commando. And their family has had no connection with the forces since national service went out the window.

I have read a lot of Commandos and my collections stands around the 2k mark. And most of them are quite thoughtful. Some are moving, but very few are of the By Jingo! Let's thrash Johnny Foreigner ilk. The largest percentage I would say are of the redemption/reconciliation mode where people who have gone astray in their lives have realised how their behaviour affects all those around them and their attempts to reform in order to be part of the team/gang again.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

That's interesting to note; I mean, compare John Wayne's "Longest Day" from the 60's as opposed to the likes of modern warfare films such as "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Thin Red Line". The latter two are far more complicated and thought provoking. I just wondered whether or not the Commando series had matured in such a way from the sixties formulae of the Longest Day.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

geoff42 wrote:That's interesting to note; I mean, compare John Wayne's "Longest Day" from the 60's as opposed to the likes of modern warfare films such as "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Thin Red Line". The latter two are far more complicated and thought provoking. I just wondered whether or not the Commando series had matured in such a way from the sixties formulae of the Longest Day.
The best thing is probably for you to buy a copy and judge for yourself, Geoff. The latest issues will be out this Thursday.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I went to see The Longest Day when it came out with my Dad who was a WW2 veteran. He wasn't impressed. :(

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

That is good advice, Lew; trouble is - where do I go to purchase them? Guess I will have to buy online, which is sad. I can no longer buy 2000 ad locally; I have now had no option but to subscribe to this once proliferate comic. I reckon I've no chance where Commando is concerned - not locally, anyhow.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Hi, Phil; was your father still alive when "A Bridge Too Far" was released in the seventies? That's the first film in my memory that kind of negated the gung-ho victories of the allies' triumphs during the second world war. Compared to "The Thin Red Line" it's very tame but still, at the time, i'm sure it would have been eye-opening in terms of demonstrating such a failure in war terms from "the winning side"!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

geoff42 wrote:That is good advice, Lew; trouble is - where do I go to purchase them? Guess I will have to buy online, which is sad. I can no longer buy 2000 ad locally; I have now had no option but to subscribe to this once proliferate comic. I reckon I've no chance where Commando is concerned - not locally, anyhow.
WH Smith stock Commando, if you have a local Smiths or can easily travel to a nearby city?

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

There is a Smith's in Dewsbury (I live in Batley, which is a neighbouring town); I will try there and shuffle through their sci-fi mags and children's comics with all the baggage of free gifts. From memory, in my search of 2000 ad and Judge Dredd, I can't remember any Commando comics. But then, I wasn't looking for them. We'll see...

Louis Crandell

Post by Louis Crandell »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Hmmm....what" s 1961 upside-down, then?

---------and if 1881 was the previous yearvto achieve the same result, then what is the NEXT year after 1961 to work the same way?
Hmm. Assuming I've not overlooked an earlier issue, the next prog this will work for is 6009, which (if I have worked it out correctly, and if the comic's publication schedule doesn't change) I believe should come out in 2096AD.