JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 01

Discuss or comment on Britain's sole surviving boy's comic from the 1970's. The home of Judge Dredd, Slaine, Nikolai Dante, ABC Warriors and Sinister Dexter. Has been running since 1977.

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

just got this great book ,reprint stories from 2000ad 2-60,though it should be hardcover like charlys war and spider and was just wondering does anybody know why story from issue 2 of 2000ad is at the start of book and at the end of book the story says judge dredd first appearance,which i know was issue 2,or does book start with issue 3. cant wait for vol 2.

Originally posted by Anonymous on the old forum on 3/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Judge Dredd first appeared in 2000AD issue 2, but at the back of the book, the first ever Dredd story is reprinted. This made it into the progs in a butchered form. Yeah, they look great, I'll be getting them all.

Originally posted by Paulvonscott on the old forum on 3/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

Strictly speaking I think JD first appeared in issue 1 - just not in a comic strip! :-)

Originally posted by Pedantic Phil on the old forum on 4/2/2006

WRLogan

Re: JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 01

Post by WRLogan »

Old Forum Fella wrote:Strictly speaking I think JD first appeared in issue 1 - just not in a comic strip! :-)

Originally posted by Pedantic Phil on the old forum on 4/2/2006
ah, the one panel advert.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/rico2074/d01.jpg

The Bank Raid story was destined to be the first Dredd story to see print but Pat Mills felt that it didn't fit his vision of the story, plus the last page of teh story by Carlos made him rethink how far Dredd would be set in the future. That last page was then stuck on the end of the story that appeared in prog 3.

The Bank Raid story appeared in the 1981 Dredd Annual and in a Titan reprint [Judge Dredd Chronicles Book 4] but both time sheavily censored.

History says that because of the strip being pulled it meant that Wagner & Ezquerra never had a story ready to go that would have been the first to see print, which saw Wagner not having a Dredd story appear till Prog 9 but Carlos took much longer to come round, although the very first panel in The Prog 2 Dredd was cut from Carlos art on Bank Raid and inserted in to Judge Whitey & he drew the Dredd strip in Prog 5 & 10 he wouldn't do the art on another Dredd strip till Prog 245 [The Apocalypse War]

So Prog 1 has an advert, Prog 2 is the first full strip, Judge Whitey and Bank raid is just something reprinted to see what might have been.

Another strip that might have been was by Jack Adrian and although he was paid for it and weas asked to dovetail it with the Prog 2 Dredd story so where his script ended the Prog 2 strip started it was never drawn up till years later for a Fanzine.

'Courtroom'
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/issues_o ... rtroom.htm
Last edited by WRLogan on 14 Mar 2006, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Volume 2 is just out (picked it up in Forbidden Planet the other day), volume 1 seemed to be delayed and delayed and then sell out very quickly so lucky you for getting a copy! It looks like being a great series.

WRLogan

Post by WRLogan »

Richard S. wrote:Volume 2 is just out (picked it up in Forbidden Planet the other day), volume 1 seemed to be delayed and delayed and then sell out very quickly so lucky you for getting a copy! It looks like being a great series.
I get them all sent to me so but even then noticed a delay in case files #1 as it was sold out so quickly. Case Files #2 is also a great package considering it contains both The Cursed Earth & The Day The Law Died in one volume.
La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

is the cursed earth story cut like in earlier reprints because i know companys like mcdonalds and burger king threatned 2000ad with legal action over certain characters

WRLogan

Post by WRLogan »

big bad bri wrote:is the cursed earth story cut like in earlier reprints because i know companys like mcdonalds and burger king threatned 2000ad with legal action over certain characters
Yup, the Prog 71 - 71 Burger Wars & 77 - 78 Soul Food stories are still missing.
La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think the chances of anyone ever reprinting those episodes again is NIL. Have to hunt for the original Progs.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

WR, could you check your private messages please? I responded to your John Wagner query but my own PM area shows you haven't picked it up yet...

:(

WRLogan

Post by WRLogan »

[quote="Shaqui"]WR, could you check your private messages please? I responded to your John Wagner query but my own PM area shows you haven't picked it up yet...

will do
La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.