Leonard/Len Ward

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Gluben

Leonard/Len Ward

Post by Gluben »

Does anyone have any more information on Leonard (or Len) Ward?

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/w/ward_len.htm

He did a large amount of comic strips and artwork for Charles Buchan's Football Monthly and Raich Carter's Soccer Star in the early 1950s, the short-lived School Cap magazine in 1953, and then later became the first art editor at TV Times magazine when it launched in 1955 for Associated Rediffusion in London. He often went by Len Ward, Nelward or simply Ward.

jim244

Re: Leonard/Len Ward

Post by jim244 »

Gluben wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 17:40
Does anyone have any more information on Leonard (or Len) Ward?

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/w/ward_len.htm

He did a large amount of comic strips and artwork for Charles Buchan's Football Monthly and Raich Carter's Soccer Star in the early 1950s, the short-lived School Cap magazine in 1953, and then later became the first art editor at TV Times magazine when it launched in 1955 for Associated Rediffusion in London. He often went by Len Ward, Nelward or simply Ward.
Hi.
I am an Arsenal fan and Charlie Buchans' football mag I am aware of....
I think Len was a Fleet Street cartoonist that was Birmingham based,died in 1963.
He did commissioned work for various publications plus portraits/paintings.
Sorry,you probably know this already.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

BTW:Your link suggests he didn't die in 1963 (lol just read link).
Perhaps somebody else on this forum could clarify this issue?

Gluben

Post by Gluben »

jim244 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 02:00
That's a different Leonard Ward, who was born on 27th September 1887 in Aston, Warwickshire and died on 3rd September 1963 in Aberdovey, Wales. He lived in Moseley, Birmingham for most of his life and was the managing director of Ward Bros. Ltd, a manufacturing jewellers. I made that same mistake too initially!

This is definitely a separate Leonard Ward as he was a freelance artist into the 80s. I know that he worked for a Brentwood printing company as late as 1987 as he was photographed in the Brentwood Gazette. Unfortunately, the owners of the company have since passed on and nobody else knows of him. I've been joining the dots via Ancestry as a best guess and I think he had a daughter called Susan, born in 1951 in Hackney where he lived at the time.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Gluben wrote:
24 Jun 2024, 13:12
jim244 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 02:00
That's a different Leonard Ward, who was born on 27th September 1887 in Aston, Warwickshire and died on 3rd September 1963 in Aberdovey, Wales. He lived in Moseley, Birmingham for most of his life and was the managing director of Ward Bros. Ltd, a manufacturing jewellers. I made that same mistake too initially!

This is definitely a separate Leonard Ward as he was a freelance artist into the 80s. I know that he worked for a Brentwood printing company as late as 1987 as he was photographed in the Brentwood Gazette. Unfortunately, the owners of the company have since passed on and nobody else knows of him. I've been joining the dots via Ancestry as a best guess and I think he had a daughter called Susan, born in 1951 in Hackney where he lived at the time.
Very interesting, worthy of more investigation.