The Guinea Pig

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

The Guinea Pig

Post by dreamticket »

Hi Folks,

Below you will find the first page of The Guinea Pig, which was reprinted in the 1979 2000AD annual. Can anyone id the writer/artist?

Cheers,
Gordon.

GuineaPig (449x640).jpg

philcom55

Re: The Guinea Pig

Post by philcom55 »

I'm pretty sure that's Colin Andrew, though Brian Lewis also worked on early episodes of the strip (in fact I suspect they might even have collaborated for a time).

- Phil Rushton

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:I'm pretty sure that's Colin Andrew, though Brian Lewis also worked on early episodes of the strip (in fact I suspect they might even have collaborated for a time).

- Phil Rushton
I'd agree with Phil there... in fact I think you see the changeover from Colin Andrew to Brian Lewis in that reprint.

*edit* I happened to have my copy of that annual right here and it's definitely Brian Lewis from page 82 on, and it seems to be Colin Andrew up to page 79. There's obviously some editing, abridging and pasting together going on as I'm not 100% sure it's either on pages 80-81. Mike gains a bandage between the first two frames of page 80, and dwarfs the guy shaking his hand on the fourth - weird perspective! Then loses the bandage and gains a jacket on page 81!

Anyone know the original well enough to know if there was someone else between them? I know, having seen the original run of 'Phantom Patrol' in 'Swift', how chopped about the '2000AD' reprints of that strip were...

:roll:

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

The following site lists this as being Brian Lewis:

http://www.tebeosfera.com/1/Autor/Dibuj ... Brian2.htm

Scroll down to the bit headed HISTORIETAS. I don't speak Spanish, but I think it says it appeared in the 1965 Eagle # 1 - 27. Also mentions the 2000AD reprint.

No mention of Colin Andrew on the site, unfortunately.

Does this make anyone think again about crediting CA?

Any idea who wrote the story?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

dreamticket wrote:No mention of Colin Andrew on the site, unfortunately.
Does this make anyone think again about crediting CA?
Not really - the faces are a dead giveaway IMHO, though Lewis may well have worked on the page as well (and as Shaqui says he certainly took over soon after - at least until Gerry Haylock replaced him). I seem to recall that there were also some episodes of John Brody in Boy's World and Jet-Ace Logan in Tiger during 1964 where the two artists appeared to be working together. It's my guess that they may have shared a studio at the time, enabling them to 'help each other out' on occasion in the way that Bill Lacey and Selby Donnison are known to have done. Of course Odhams are unlikely to have known about such an arrangement, simply paying one of the artists for all the work and marking their paybooks accordingly.

- Phil Rushton