Lion Annual 1967: help wanted.

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

Lion Annual 1967: help wanted.

Post by dreamticket »

Hi Folks, these two also come from the Lion Annual 1967. Artist and writer ids wanted, if poss. I know Reg Bunn worked on the Spider, but I don't see much sign of his cross-hatching here. Any suggestions?

Cheers. Gordon.
spider2 (459x640).jpg
Next, Charley Of The Chimps:
charly2 (457x640).jpg
I'll leave it at that for today as I'm not sure I can get away with adding anymore attachments to one post. (Bit of a struggle getting these two in).

Lew Stringer

Re: Lion Annual 1967: help wanted.

Post by Lew Stringer »

The Spider page looks like Reg Bunn's work to me. No cross hatching needed as he applied a wash to it instead. The character in panel one looks distinctly Reg Bunn's style, unless it's someone ghosting it.

No idea who drew the Chimps strip. Looks European.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, I agree that the Spider page looks like Reg Bunn himself working with washes (a technique that he tended to use when the work was printed on better paper). In fact this makes the story quite unusual as Bunn rarely drew the character when he appeared outside the normal weekly continuity - for example David Sque provides a surprisingly good imitation of his style for the 1968 Annual.

Charlie of the Chimps was originally drawn in Lion by Joe Colquhoun, but he clearly didn't draw this strip. Going by the style I'd hazard a guess that it's the work of the Spanish artist Juan Rafart Roldán (also known as 'Raf').

- Phil Rushton

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

The Spider page is definitely Bunn (I've got this annual, and the style is unmistakable) but I have no clue as to who drew the other.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Hi Tony, if you've got the annual I don't suppose you know who drew the two Archie strips (One colour, one bw), the Paddy Payne strip, and the two Zip Nolans? I'm indexing this book for the GCD and would like to be as accurate as possible with art and writing credits.

I also want to avoid having to stick up anymore attachments. I'm sure it's a pain in the arse for you guys.

Thanks to everyone for all the help so far.

Gordon.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Hi DT,
Many moons ago I had planned to index all of the AP/Fleetway boys annuals and summer specials as a sort of companion to Steve Holland's excellent 'Fleetway Companion' but never got around to it for one reason or another. Fortunately one of the titles that did get the indexing treatment was the Lion Annual for 1967. So,where known, here is a list of the artists who contributed -

Robot Archie - Alan Philpott
Avenger versus the Atomic Sub - Bill Lacey
Zip Nolan - Leo Rawlings
Paddy Payne - Joe Colquhoun
Warriors with Wings - JHB (signed)
Stories of the Sea - Graham Coton
Maroc the Mighty - Alfredo Marculeta
Island of Secrets - John Vernon
Charlie of the Chimps - Rafart
Return of the Sludge - Bill Lacey
King's Corporal - Graham Coton
Zip Nolan - Ted Kearon
Robot Archie and the Z ray - John Vernon
Seen any good ghosts lately? - Graham Coton
Spider on Cobra Island - Reg Bunn
The Micro King - John Vernon
Jimmi from Jupiter - Mario Capaldi
The Rocket Jockeys - Selby Donnison
What did you do in the war Dad? - Bruno Maraffa

Any items not listed artist not known.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think 'JHB' would be John Batchelor, who also seems to have drawn the 'Famous Planes of World War II' pages.

Interesting to see that Robot Archie's original artist Alan Philpott was responsible for 'The Invaders'; I'd never have guessed it was him.

- Phil Rushton

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

If you think Alan Philpott doesn't look quite himself here Phil you should check out his work on the Sparky strip Klanky in the 1970's!
Thanks for the Batchelor ID BTW. As is always true with pictures of machines etc it is often very difficult to pin down an artists style without the benefit of any figure drawing. As an example artist George Blow, who worked for both Thomsons and the AP back in the day, had a very distinctive figure drawing style but his frequent technical drawings had none of this distinctivness.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Kashgar wrote:Hi DT,
Many moons ago I had planned to index all of the AP/Fleetway boys annuals and summer specials as a sort of companion to Steve Holland's excellent 'Fleetway Companion' but never got around to it for one reason or another. Fortunately one of the titles that did get the indexing treatment was the Lion Annual for 1967. So,where known, here is a list of the artists who contributed -

Robot Archie - Alan Philpott
Avenger versus the Atomic Sub - Bill Lacey
Zip Nolan - Leo Rawlings
Paddy Payne - Joe Colquhoun
Warriors with Wings - JHB (signed)
Stories of the Sea - Graham Coton
Maroc the Mighty - Alfredo Marculeta
Island of Secrets - John Vernon
Charlie of the Chimps - Rafart
Return of the Sludge - Bill Lacey
King's Corporal - Graham Coton
Zip Nolan - Ted Kearon
Robot Archie and the Z ray - John Vernon
Seen any good ghosts lately? - Graham Coton
Spider on Cobra Island - Reg Bunn
The Micro King - John Vernon
Jimmi from Jupiter - Mario Capaldi
The Rocket Jockeys - Selby Donnison
What did you do in the war Dad? - Bruno Maraffa

Any items not listed artist not known.

WOW! Thanks for that, Kashgar. I'll get the index updated asap. Meanwhile, for anyone interested in readng the second Archie story from the Annual (the B&W Archie and the Z-Ray by John Vernon, you will find it, along with several other Archie stories, here (just scroll down the page a bit):

http://www.counter-x.net/comics/robot_archie/index.html

Don't know who runs the website, but he also has a page on The Spider - hit the homepage link at top of page, then pick the box marked Comics. You can find the Spider link easily from there. No complete stories, though, just reviews of them along with some panels.

Many, many thanks, guys.

Cheers,
Gordon.

maclatha

Post by maclatha »

I thought that Charlie of the Chimps was made by Joe Colquhoun:

http://charleyswar.tripod.com/id16.html

Can anyone upload again the page just for check if this coulb be a Rafart's wort as you say in this thread?

Tahnks

Greetings from Barcelona :)