Space-Kid Kelly

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dreamticket

Space-Kid Kelly

Post by dreamticket »

Can anyone name the artist on this hotspur strip from August 1974? I found the style to be a bit out of place in the Hotspur of the time which is why I'm posting this separate to the other scans uploaded today.
SKKellyHotspurAug1974 (543x800).jpg
Space-KidKellyHotspurAug1974 (550x800).jpg

dreamticket

Re: Space-Kid Kelly

Post by dreamticket »

As this seems to have stumped everybody I thought I'd add couple of pages from a separate strip featuring some vaguely science-fictional schoolboy hi-jinks. Different artist this time, though. Possibly Donnison? Maybe Campion?

Any thoughts?
Sept1970 (545x800).jpg
Aces1970 (583x800).jpg

crow

Post by crow »

Hm, the Young Aces of Space looks like Mike White in places. It's definately not Selby Donnison or Geoff Campion.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Hmmm. Not sure about Mike White (though I've only got the 2000AD pages on your site to go on).

I'm sorry I put the Space-Kid Kelly pieces in their own thread as I don't think anyone's heard of it and therefore aren't looking. The style of the art suggest it's either one of the new generation of British artists who appeared in the seventies (Gibbons, Bolland, etc) or somebody who worked mainly in girl's titles.

Just a thought, but did John Bolton ever work for D.C. Thomson/Fleetway/I.P.C.?

On a separate note, have you ever been published? Your art samples look kind of familiar from my days of reading indy/small-press titles.

crow

Post by crow »

To me, some of the poses look like Mike White. It's definately not Bolland, Gibbons or Bolton.

Have I ever been published? I had some work in Bulldog Adventure Magazine back in the early 90s. And recently I illustrated a two-page strip for issue 19 of Futurequake:

http://futurequakepress.blogspot.com/20 ... tents.html

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

crow wrote:To me, some of the poses look like Mike White. It's definately not Bolland, Gibbons or Bolton.
Having looked at the art in some of his obits, and from reading through this, I think you might be right after all:

http://illustrationartgallery.blogspot. ... white.html

Is it possible that the Young Aces of Space pieces could be a retitled reprint of School for Spacemen? Could they even be by Mike Western (whose work I'm not good at spotting for some reason).

A sad day, nonetheless.