Ronald Searle RIP

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Ronald Searle RIP

Post by Digifiend »

Ronald Searle, creator of the girls of St Trinians, has died aged 91.

Peter Gray

Re: Ronald Searle RIP

Post by Peter Gray »

He also did some sweet mole pictures to cheer up his wife when she was in hospital..
recently published..showing another side to his art...

He was a tough man to get through what he did in World War 2..

His comic art and black humour are very good..those girls get up to some real horrors..

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I remember reading last year about the mole drawings he did for his wife. It was a nice thing for him to do, and offered quite a contrast to much of his other work. He will be remembered for his cartoons, especially for St. Trinians. RIP.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Those mole drawings were in one of yesterday's papers but I didn't take much notice - was unaware then that he had passed away.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It is scary that I was just on the Ronald Searle Appreciation site last night. As Steve Bell has said, we have lost a giant from British Comics.

What he went through as a POW was horrendous. And it is interesting that the only other comic artist known to have been a Japanese POW [Leo Rawlings] felt as powerful an urge to record those events and to use them as their reason for getting through that horrendous time.

But from such dark times, we got such deliciously dark humour such as Molesworthy and the Belles of St Trinians.

RIP Ronald, you will be greatly missed. We hope that Heaven raises a magnum or three on your arrival.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Coincidentally (at least, I assume it was a coincidence) the first updated St Trinians film was on TV last night. Nice to know Searle's legacy lives on (even if the film itself is not really a St Trinians film in my eyes without George Cole as Flash Harry)...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://ronaldsearle.blogspot.com/

Discovered this blog from cartoonbrew..linked it to my blog list at my blog..loads to look at now..

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

tony ingram wrote:Coincidentally (at least, I assume it was a coincidence) the first updated St Trinians film was on TV last night. Nice to know Searle's legacy lives on (even if the film itself is not really a St Trinians film in my eyes without George Cole as Flash Harry)...
I hated the first of the new St Trinians films. I thought it was aimed more at girls, whereas the older films could be enjoyed by both genders, and no one could really replace the original actors (especially George Cole and Alistair Sim). Apparently the second of the new films is even worse. On the other hand, I did quite like the earlier films.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Only 6 months ago his soul mate wife died..50 years they had known each other....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ancer.html

I read this in the Daily Mail heres the touvhing article..and those mole pictures..

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Jonny Whizz wrote: I hated the first of the new St Trinians films. I thought it was aimed more at girls, whereas the older films could be enjoyed by both genders, and no one could really replace the original actors (especially George Cole and Alistair Sim). Apparently the second of the new films is even worse. On the other hand, I did quite like the earlier films.
The original series are wonderful, I think. Cole and Sim were perfectly cast.

Ging back to Searle himself, after much hunting through bookcases I've found my old copies of Down With Skool and Back in the Jug Agane for a re-read. Grate stuff, as any fule kno. :D

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Thought you might like to see a short tribute to Searle as Alumnus of Anglia Ruskin University.