Joe Kubert RIP

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

philcom55

Joe Kubert RIP

Post by philcom55 »

Though I can't think of any original work he produced for the British market the unexpected passing of such an artistic legend is bound to send ripples all over the world. I do remember him giving an inspirational speech when he was Guest of Honour at a London Comics Convention a few years ago; and afterwards I was even more impressed by the skillful way in which he reviewed the portfolios of a long line of aspiring artists, handing out encouragement and sound advice in equal measure.

- Phil Rushton :(

davidandrewsimpson

Re: Joe Kubert RIP

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Looks like we were at the same convention, if it was one of the UKCAC conventions. I was sat in the centre of thr front row with two friends of mine for Kubert's talk -- it's not often I've felt in the presence of greatness, but that was one of them.

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

Very sad news indeed, yet another of the TRUE comic book legends passing away - certainly can't recall any original UK comic art he produced but his reprinted art/strips were certainly featured in some DC/UK titles (The Super Heroes in the 70s /80S ETC) Probably the worlds most influential comic creator, not perhaps through his strips/creations (like Kirby) but through the Joe Kubert School which he opened in in 1976, he must have mentor literally hundreds (thousands) of successful artists who now work in the medium - plus Sgt Rock was great as was his most recent DC work which looked a s good (better) than his work as a 40 year old - his work/ legend will def go on via his 2 sons (probably the best artists working in comics at present)

dwitefry

Post by dwitefry »

Joe Kubert's dead?
That's very sad indeed. I studied at Kubert's for less than a term (before my mental health issues forced me to return to England) and met him several times as well as enjoyed the assembly he took - the only time I didn't speak through an assembly, in fact no one did, he came on stage and everyone just shut up.
He was a nice man. I was staying in Kubert school housing and he came 'round at the start of term just to chat to us all and see if we were alright as well as, I don't doubt, lay the law down but it didn't feel like that, and spoke to us a couple of times in the hallways too, just seeing how the house was treating us and such.
Very sad.
Gone for 14 days...

jluc-parker

Post by jluc-parker »

I grew up with Joe Kubert and his work on Enemy Ace (Wonderful!), Tarzan (Fantastic) and his war stories (Great).
RIP Joe.
Attachments
kubert_poster.gif
JoeKubert_EnemyAce__page__100.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've just started reading my Showcase volume of Hawkman with art by Joe.