Leslie Caswell

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

matrix
Posts: 817
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:37

Leslie Caswell

Post by matrix »

Here are some of the hidden gems in ''Princess' comic that I mentioned on my 'Royal Issues' post, lovely illustrations by Leslie Caswell. Hopefully you will find these of interest Norman? I did mean to get in touch about these before but it completly slipped my mind!

The scans below are from Princess comic 65/66.

Norman if you require anymore info please let me know.
Attachments
Leslie.Caswell.1.jpg
Leslie.Caswell.2.jpg
Leslie.Caswell.3.jpg

User avatar
ISPYSHHHGUY
Posts: 4275
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 13:05
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Really nice work, Matrix!

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 138
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by standby4action »

matrix wrote:Here are some of the hidden gems in ''Princess' comic that I mentioned on my 'Royal Issues' post, lovely illustrations by Leslie Caswell. Hopefully you will find these of interest Norman? I did mean to get in touch about these before but it completly slipped my mind!
The scans below are from Princess comic 65/66.
Norman if you require anymore info please let me know.
WOW! Matrix - these are really interesting. Have I mentioned my some-times blog Visual Rants? I set it up when accumulating batches of magazines. Wanting only one or two of the batch I thought I'd share any nice artwork that touched me.

And having interviewed Mike Noble a long time ago found out about Leslie Caswell. Read the comment from his daughter on the blog! This work you've scanned shows his versatility in my opinion.

So you may feel as if you know nothing (as you stated elsewhere) but every little helps identify and share obscure work and brings joy.

matrix
Posts: 817
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:37

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by matrix »

Thanks for the comments Rab, and Norman. Yes I had seen your blog Norman I discovered it after seeing his work in 'Princess', so thought you might like to see these illustrations. I did see his daughters comments that is good they are going to catalogue his work, I guess they have all the info on his work for 'Princess'?

Thanks.

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 138
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by standby4action »

matrix wrote:...I did see his daughters comments that is good they are going to catalogue his work, I guess they have all the info on his work for 'Princess'?
I would assume nothing. Do you have more info that you'd like to share with her. Wordpress allows me to see her email so I have it. If you do want to, let me know - my email address is Image, which easier than trying to find yours! :)

matrix
Posts: 817
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 12:37

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by matrix »

That would not be a problem Norman, I have sent you an email in case you read this first.

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4747
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by stevezodiac »

Going through some 50s Home Notes magazines last night looking for adverts in comic strip form I came across some of Leslie's work:

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 138
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by standby4action »

Beautifully scanned. Would you mind sharing what settings you used as I found them hard work because of the way they're reproduced? Thanks for sharing

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4747
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by stevezodiac »

Unfortunately I have no idea what settings I use as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I just have a cheap HP printer. It does have a brightness and contrast setting to make the image brighter and sharper. I suppose i could right click on the image and look at the "properties" would that provide the info you need?

By the way I have only just looked at your blog so didn't realise you were aware of the Home Notes stuff. Quite a lot of good artists worked on that publication. I have a soft spot for vintage women's magazines but mainly for the adverts and artwork. There were a few of those football programme sized titles. Home Chat and Everywomans being two others.

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 138
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by standby4action »

stevezodiac wrote:Unfortunately I have no idea what settings I use as I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I just have a cheap HP printer. It does have a brightness and contrast setting to make the image brighter and sharper. I suppose i could right click on the image and look at the "properties" would that provide the info you need?

By the way I have only just looked at your blog so didn't realise you were aware of the Home Notes stuff. Quite a lot of good artists worked on that publication. I have a soft spot for vintage women's magazines but mainly for the adverts and artwork. There were a few of those football programme sized titles. Home Chat and Everywomans being two others.
Don't worry about the scanner settings, and thanks for the answer.

I too have a soft spot for the artwork in these magazines. It was the Frank Bellamy and Raymond Sheppard research that exposed me serendipitously to this stuff. And I thought I'd create the Visual Rants blog as a way of sharing this stuff....especially as I get rid of the physical copies after a while...not enough room!

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4747
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by stevezodiac »

Here are two more Caswell pieces from a 1954 John Bull magazine.

Image

Image

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 138
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by standby4action »

stevezodiac wrote:Here are two more Caswell pieces from a 1954 John Bull magazine.
Thanks for sharing these. The strength of the figure work is brilliant.

User avatar
Shaqui
Posts: 816
Joined: 01 Mar 2006, 14:22
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by Shaqui »

standby4action wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:Here are two more Caswell pieces from a 1954 John Bull magazine.
Thanks for sharing these. The strength of the figure work is brilliant.
And you can see the influence Caswell had on Mike Noble. :D

User avatar
stevezodiac
Posts: 4747
Joined: 23 May 2006, 20:43
Location: space city

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by stevezodiac »

I found another Caswell last night - in a copy of Princess.

Image

User avatar
standby4action
Posts: 138
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 13:13
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Leslie Caswell

Post by standby4action »

For matrix, Shaqui and SteveZodiac, i thought you'd like to know I've just uploaded some more Caswell artwork including that sent by someone who sent me a comment on a previous post

Post Reply