Jimmy Hughes

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

dishes

Re: Jimmy Hughes

Post by dishes »

Thanks for all your personal insight Yekal. Congratulations on having such a distinguished uncle.

That drawing for your daughter reminds me of the fate of Bully Beef's hairline. At some point in the late eighties Robert Nixon took over Bully Beef and Chips while Jimmy Hughes was moved to that strip about Cuddles's soft toys on the adjacent page, on which he did a great job. Robert Nixon seemed to have trouble drawing Beefy with his hair over his eyes in his usual cutesy style so after the first few weeks he lifted the hairline and made Beefy's eyes visible. Then when Mr Hughes later returned to the strip he continued with this new look, as seen in your drawing.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Robert Nixon was one of the greatest UK comic artists ever but from the 70s onwards he was never really a ghoster: he quite rightly stuck to his own style.....his 80s versions of Korky and Bully Beef were done with no attempt to disguisevhis natural style....

Yekal thank you very much for very interesting atlrtefacts concerning your uncle Jimmy it is much appreciated.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Thank you Yekal, this is great stuff! I never knew your uncle's name or who drew what out of these strips generally, but they bring back lots of fond memories as I look at them :D
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I was once shown some of the work Jimmy sent to DC Thomson before he was given the Bully Beef gig. The difference in style was quite noticeable, but you could see the similarities with his published work - an early one of which was Big Head and Thick Head, of which he drew at least one - the issue of the week of THAT cup final in 1966, which I only know because the Dandy reprinted it in miniature with the equivalent issue in 2006!

I was always quite a fan of Jimmy's work!

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Hello @Yekal

I found this a fascinating thread with information on your Uncle Jimmy. I'm trying to put together a short biography of him for the GCD. I've sent you an email and it's possible that you don't wish to reply privately or maybe it's gone straight into your spam folder.

I hope you're still around as I notice you haven't been back here for a year or so.