Ferguson Dewar

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

suebutcher

Ferguson Dewar

Post by suebutcher »

A nice Ferguson Dewar "Wonderful Island of Yum" painting. Is this from a Playhour annual?
yummaypole.jpg

philcom55

Re: Ferguson Dewar

Post by philcom55 »

Hi Sue. I just picked up a copy of the 1966 Playhour Annual and that artwork is indeed featured. Here's the printed version (I love the baby whale!).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Ahhh, a maypole! Where have all those joyful, responsibility-free days gone? Well I know when mine made a sudden disappearance. I was about eight, I'd been moved up a whole year in the middle of a school year, given a desk fairly near the door, miles away from the teacher, whose desk was over by the windows, and who seemed oblivious to my presence. Come the summer exams and I was placed 49th out of the 52 children in the class. My dad did his nut. Innocence died that day.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Thanks, Phil. It's amazing that there's always a convenient railway track laid out no matter where Prof Yum and his friends want to go!

ShaquiUK

Post by ShaquiUK »

Does anyone know anything more about Ferguson Dewar, please?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Researcher, writer, editor, illustrator & designer

https://shop.gerryanderson.com/products ... -anthology :D

Goof

Post by Goof »

You may know about this one already, but he did a series called Alice in Spaceland for Princess, which ran for the better part of a year during 1965/66. This sample is two pages from a story in the Princess Gift Book 1967, partly because it has a credit, partly because the Princesses of that period are too large for my scanner.

Although Dewar gets a sole credit, the human figures in the series were drawn by Mark Peppe. Dewar did the robots, the rockets, and the backgrounds.