John Geering

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

ISPYSHHHGUY

John Geering

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

JOHN GEERING, was, simply, to me,----one of the very greatest cartoonists of his time [1969-99]. Others, like DAVEY SUTHERLAND and RON SPENCE, were enormously talented, but they were essentially carrying on the pioneering groundwork laid down by LEO BAXENDALE. JOHN'S own natural style had an identity all of it's own, which to me seemed more inspired by American animated films from the Golden Age of cartoon shorts. He was also the fastest-improving comic-strip artist i have ever witnessed;----his very early 'PUSS an' BOOTS' seems a bit unsure of itself, but within a few short months, this strip got very accomplished indeed.......i loved following this unfolding, rapid progress as a young 'SPARKY' reader. The 'SPARKY' 'PUSS an'BOOTS' back page work was my own personal favourite material of his........it's a shame that this '69-'73 work is seldom reprinted. His other 1970s work 'PANSY POTTER', P.C. BIG EARS, 'MONKEY BIZNESS' is also well worth seeking out, and a 1975 'CRACKER' strip: 'THE NUTTERS' was almost Disney-like in it's style and sense of appeal...............fastforwards to 1980, and JOHN'S work from this point on [i.e. 'BANANAMAN' in 'NUTTY'] heralds in a new era when his workload increases significantly.............for the remainder of his career, JOHN GEERING became, quite probably, the most prolific comics artist of his day in the U.K. Sadly, i felt there was a relative decline in quality in his '80s work, ---this was inevitable, considering the sheer scale of his output. From the good-natured banter i witnessed right in front of me, it seemed likely he was earning more in this period than some D.C.T. editors. He also managed to visit the red sandstone fortress up in DUNDEE on a fairly regular basis........i think he had a flash motor, and he often drove up. I understood that he wasn't all that enamored with the T.V. cartoon version of 'BANANAMAN'--------it's a shame that he never personally animated it himself!

Kashgar
Guru

John Geering

Post by Kashgar »

John Geering was a really good comic artist but I feel he eventually took on too much stuff and his work became too perfunctory certainly compared to his earlier material. He was renowned as being an artist that would never refuse a commission if at all possible and I think he did overstretch himself towards the end of what was a relatively short life.
As well as his comic work John also tried his hand at writing gags for stand-up comedians and he certainly included Ken Dodd amongst his friends he having apparently had some input into the design of the Diddymen, if your old enough to recall those denizens of the jam butty mines of Knotty Ash.

Steve Bright

John Geering

Post by Steve Bright »

He also appeared in Coronation Street in his younger years, as I may have mentioned here before, and was a special constable, whose warrant card allowed him to get to Dundee in his XR3 faster than Jackie Stewart in his prime.

He must have hated it when I was sent to meet him at Edinburgh airport in my tiny yellow Mini, to drive him to Dundee to see the early rushes of the Bananaman TV series. But he actually liked what he saw of those first scenes, praising the animation. This really p****d me off, since I had moaned about it all the way from the airport, convinced he was going to hate it, as I did.

I still wonder if he only said he liked it to annoy me, but he had bucketloads of animation experience back then, and I had none, so DCT were delighted with his approval.

I couldn't agree more with you, ISPY, though - if he had been allowed to do the animation on it, it would have been infinitely better...even if JKG himself may not have agreed.
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

ISPYSHHHGUY

John Geering

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I worked in animation in London in the early '90s, Steve, and i met a couple of ex-COSGROVE- HALL staffers who worked alongside JOHN GEERING in MANCHESTER, [this was when 'COUNT DUCKULA' was in production]. I remember them telling me that JOHN used to knock out a comic- strip for D.C.T. during his dinner-break------and this certainly sounds like him!------------SURE, kashar, [hope i have got your name right.....i can't bear to re-type all this!]------i remember KEN DODD, ---even before his tax problems..................who can forget: 'HA-PI-NESS, HA-PI-NESS, THE GREA-TEST GIFT THAT WE PO-SESS'............reckon i had better throw in the towel here, readers.............