Yvonne Hutton

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DJDogfart

Re: Yvonne Hutton

Post by DJDogfart »

Well, this is turning out to very interesting. As I said, I'm not too good with artist spotting, but I knew some of you are. It hadn't crossed my mind before that they wouldn't be by Yvonne. I will let her daughter know this. I think I have recounted this tale somewhere before, but she has told me that her mum used to get them to pose in the kitchen so she could sketch them and turn the sketches into finished frames of footballers heading the ball and tackling etc.
I have always been wanting to ask her more, but I don't like to as I don't want to bring up the past too often, although she is always ok when I do. I just don't like upsetting people really, although ,I guess if it were me, I would be very proud of my mother.

Darren.
Scccrrruunnge

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:Hi Darren,
Interesting art examples by Eric Bradbury and Joe Colquhoun. I think these were probably sent to Yvonne as test pieces for her to copy to see exactly where her strengths and weaknesses as an artist lay. BTW the Eric Bradbury 'Maxwell Hawke' page is from Buster dated 16th Jan 1965 and was part of the series ' Maxwell Hawke and the Phantom Zombie'.
Crikey! You're right, Ray! Serves me right for squinting at them on a tablet instead of my Mac. And isn't the page with the planes by Geoff Campion?
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I remember Dave Gibbons saying that when he first approached Fleetway they showed him some pages by Bradbury and Campion and asked if he could produce work like theirs.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Yes Lew, both Battler Britton pages are by Geoff Campion and were originally printed in Knockout. The first one is from Knockout dated 4th Mar 1961 and the second from the issue dated 10th Dec 1960.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Lew Stringer wrote:Crikey! You're right, Ray!
Of course Ray's right, Lew. Why are you surprised? He's a guru.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Looking at today's front pages on Sky News website I see the "I" has an article about female cartoonists. My first memory of a female cartoonist was Sally Artz in the Sun.

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

stevezodiac wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 16:35
This morning I came across a Roy of the Rovers strip from the Daily Star dated 1991. The art is by Yvonne Hutton. It's unusual to see a female artist drawing a football strip. Does anyone know anything about her?
Hello, can you please place a sample of this artwork here? I happen to be a great fan of Yvonne Hutton's artwork, since I first read the "Roy of the Rovers" story reprinted by Greek magazines during the '70s & '80s. And if you know some more bio details of her, I would be gratefull. Thanks, :)

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

DJDogfart wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 20:09
First 3. More to follow
I'm afraid that none of these are Yvonne Hutton's artwork, first sample (Maxwell Hawke) is made by Eric Bradbury and the two others (Roy of the Rovers) by Joe Colquhoun.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/m/maxhawke.htm

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

DJDogfart wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 01:22
Yvonne Hutton was the mother of a good friend of mine. As far as I know she did all the Daily Star strips. Tragically, she died in a car accident.
Her Daughter has told me that she used to get her and her brother to pose like footballers so she could sketch them for her artwork. She also illustrated Durrell's Palace for RoTR, amongst others. I have, for some time been meaning to post some original artwork here. Must get round to it soon.
Would it be possible for you to ask Yvonne's son (your friend) to send us some pictures of the "Daily Star" "RotR" artwork made by his mother?

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Shiner wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 08:23
Yvonne Hutton was the regular Roy of the Rovers artist in the 70s prior to David Sque. I have some original art by her - the cover to the 21st anniversary issue of Tiger.
Correct! She firstly made a picture for "RotR" strip in weekly "Tiger" comic dated July 1st, 1967. She continued working for this strip till the beginning of 1975/76 season, then replaced by David Sque (a good friend of mine). But very soon, when "Roy of the Rovers" comic was relaunched (September 1976) she returned to "Tiger" making parallel RotR stories for 2 years (till 1978). Would you be so kind as to place some pictures of her for the 21st anniversary issue of Tiger? They may be Roy Race's celebration of his 20 years in British Football ?
Dickie Davies (70s).png
Barrie Tomlinson_Roy Race.jpg

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

stevezodiac wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 16:35
The art is by Yvonne Hutton. It's unusual to see a female artist drawing a football strip. Does anyone know anything about her?
This is the article I made for her, in the Greek edition of Wikipedia:

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%A5%CE ... E%BF%CE%BD

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

DJDogfart wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 20:12
Right
Got to grips with it now. Hope they look ok. There are loads more once I get time. I'm sure forum members with far more knowledge than me will recognise which comics these are from.
Darren
None of these is made by Yvonne. The "RotR" pictures (below) are Joe Colquhoun's artwork.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Hi Nick the Greek - I can’t access the art at the moment but you are right that it is Roy’s testimonial compered by Dickie Davies.

Nick_the_Greek

Post by Nick_the_Greek »

Shiner wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 18:03
Hi Nick the Greek - I can’t access the art at the moment but you are right that it is Roy’s testimonial compered by Dickie Davies.
Hi Shiner, thanks anyway ! :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Found the strip yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_20200929_170150~2.jpg