Carlos Ezquerra RIP

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

comixminx

Carlos Ezquerra RIP

Post by comixminx » 01 Oct 2018, 16:58

Very sorry to see (via Twitter) that Carlos Ezquerra has just died. The snippet from the Sun that shows up on a google search says 'The co-creator of Judge Dredd has died in Spain at the age of 70 after a battle with lung cancer, it emerged today'. Alas!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Re: Carlos Ezquerra RIP

Post by philcom55 » 01 Oct 2018, 19:48

Oh no! :cry:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 » 01 Oct 2018, 21:05

It was his second battle with lung cancer and we all thought that Carlos was through the worst of it until today.

In my tribute, I am going to concentrate on his work in Wizard as that seems to be all but forgotten these days.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Dave Heeley

Post by Dave Heeley » 05 Oct 2018, 18:40

Tragic news. I'm devastated, that Wizard cover you posted today was a new one on me. Fantastic!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 » 05 Oct 2018, 23:02

Dave Heeley wrote:Tragic news. I'm devastated, that Wizard cover you posted today was a new one on me. Fantastic!
I'm going to post a new Carlos cover each day until I run out of them. I am going to be doing an obituary for ComicScene and I wonder if anyone has any examples of Carlos' work in Mirabelle or know what other romance comic he worked for before he got his DCT break?

SID

Post by SID » 08 Oct 2018, 19:33

I just discovered this thread and am in shock.

A great loss.

I haven't seen anything in either 2000AD or Judge Dredd Megazine though I wasn't looking for it. I can't believe that they won't do a tribute similar to the one given to Tom Frame.

I wonder what will happen to Strontium Dog since Carlos was Johnny's definitive artist?
Collecting comics since 1975 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri » 08 Oct 2018, 23:44

Dave Heeley wrote:Tragic news. I'm devastated, that Wizard cover you posted today was a new one on me. Fantastic!
where is wizard cover posted ? i havent come across it lol

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno » 09 Oct 2018, 08:39

big bad bri wrote:
where is wizard cover posted ? i havent come across it lol
Col put it on Facebook

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 » 09 Oct 2018, 17:41

Fear not if you don't have me on Facebook, John Freeman has collected the first few in a tribute to Carlos in this article

SID

Post by SID » 11 Oct 2018, 00:16

colcool007 wrote:Fear not if you don't have me on Facebook, John Freeman has collected the first few in a tribute to Carlos in this article
Good tribute.

I am planning to get the last Sniper Elite comic with cover drawn by Carlos and featuring Battle's Rat Pack.
Collecting comics since 1975 including: Action, Battle, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram » 23 Nov 2018, 09:43

The latest Judge Dredd Megazine pays tribute to Carlos, with five pages of his fellow creators sharing their memories of him, plus the free reprint magazine which this month presents a selection of his work including his first ever Dredd strip.