Jackpot Annual 1982 Christmas Cover Art

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Into The Abyss

Jackpot Annual 1982 Christmas Cover Art

Post by Into The Abyss »

Ahhhhhhhh..... who can remember the Jackpot Annual & Comic by Fleetway Press? I do. Had the comic on order at my local newsagent, among others, and every week would run home from school to see if my mother had picked it up. It was superb. Great stories and even greater characters. Anyway, a few years back was lucky enough to buy the 1982 Jackpot Christmas Annual front cover art by Sid Burgon. Very nice it is too. :notworthy:

Well, hello there! :wave:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Jackpot Annual 1982 Christmas Cover Art

Post by colcool007 »

It's so nice to see original art without the header or any other branding on it.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Yeah, I agree. It's so distracting sometimes. Takes the eye away from the art itself. :headbash:

I bought the Jackpot art a few years ago after I saw it online for sale. The added bonus was, the annual came with the art. What more do you want. :cheers:

Just love the subject matter. I had the very same annual way back in 1982. It was a Christmas present from my parents. And I'd never imagined then as a 10 yr old kid that all these years later would own the very cover art featured on my annual. :)

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Thanks for sharing. It’s a great piece of art from a great artist. Too much of Sid’s art has been destroyed but he’s always been a favourite. His work on Joker always made me go straight to the back cover of Whizzer & Chips before I even opened it.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Shiner wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 07:18
Thanks for sharing. It’s a great piece of art from a great artist. Too much of Sid’s art has been destroyed but he’s always been a favourite. His work on Joker always made me go straight to the back cover of Whizzer & Chips before I even opened it.
Hey, you're welcome friend. It's a lovely piece. I'm fortunate to own it.

Funny you mention Whizzer & Chips. A few years ago sourced a page, might even be by Sid, not sure who the artist is to be honest? It was dumped in a skip and recovered. I'll try to dig it out and upload a picture. 🙂

Update: Well here it is. What I can remember is. When I sourced the art, which is an inner page of the annual which I also have, was that the brother of the seller worked in some capacity for Fleetway in the 80s and amazingly found it in a skip after some refurbishment. 8)

Last edited by Into The Abyss on 14 Sep 2020, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Having a sort out today and found some pages of original art including a page of Sid Burgon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eM3ZyGwzD1N4ed1C9

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Can somebody confirm these two pieces are by Allan Morley as they are not initialled by him?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9YqHTUjQ5HGXfAFE9

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 13:33
Having a sort out today and found some pages of original art including a page of Sid Burgon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eM3ZyGwzD1N4ed1C9
Loving what I'm seeing. Well done! :)

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
19 Aug 2020, 13:38
Can somebody confirm these two pieces are by Allan Morley as they are not initialled by him?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9YqHTUjQ5HGXfAFE9
On checking some Keyhole Kate examples on the net, both are highly likely penned by Allan Morley. See below one of Allan's strips from 1949.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

According to wiki he wasn't allowed to sign his initials until 1947 so perhaps my art predates that.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 13:11
According to wiki he wasn't allowed to sign his initials until 1947 so perhaps my art predates that.

Yeah, that does sound logical. I'll try and do a bit more digging around to see if there's any pre-1947 images on the net. And you'll never know, I might even track down the actual issues the pages appeared in. 🙂🤞

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Into The Abyss wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 02:25
Ahhhhhhhh..... who can remember the Jackpot Annual & Comic by Fleetway Press? I do. Had the comic on order at my local newsagent, among others, and every week would run home from school to see if my mother had picked it up. It was superb. Great stories and even greater characters. Anyway, a few years back was lucky enough to buy the 1982 Jackpot Christmas Annual front cover art by Sid Burgon. Very nice it is too. :notworthy:

Actually, the artwork is by Mike Lacey!

The Shiner artwork you showed is by Jimmy Hansen, who drew in a very similar way to Mike.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

AndyB wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:59
Into The Abyss wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 02:25

Actually, the artwork is by Mike Lacey!

The Shiner artwork you showed is by Jimmy Hansen, who drew in a very similar way to Mike.
Cheers for that info. As said, wasn't sure who the artist was. Nice to put a name to a face, or art in this case. :)