Bill Titcombe

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Bill Titcombe

Post by stevezodiac »

At Kempton Park antique fair yesterday someone had a large wooden framed original art of three "Perils of page 3 Pauline" strips. From the News of the World and drawn by Bill Titcombe of TV Comic fame. It was signed at the bottom by the writer and Bill. No price on it but it was too big for me to carry home anyway. Would like to have had it. Always liked Bill's artwork. There's not much online about page 3 Pauline so must be scarce.

Into The Abyss

Re: Bill Titcombe

Post by Into The Abyss »

It's frustrating when you see something but due to circumstances don't buy it and later on find out it's rare and worth a few quid. Happened to me loads of times. Wonder how much they wanted for it?. 🤔
Well, hello there! :wave:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I hate Iit when sellers don't put prices on items. They must lose a lot of custom from people like me who don't like to ask the price as they find it uncomfortable to turn away when it's too high. My social anxiety makes it difficult to engage with strangers anyway. If it's there next time I'll try to be bolder. And bring a big carrier bag just in case.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Don't worry stevezodiac. It happens to us all. Even gobby me who could sell ice to Iceland, not the store, sometimes lose all confidence. In fact, it's a nightmare of mine. I always go out with more money than I need just in case this happens.

And yeah, it's a pain when they don't put prices on things too, especially seeing it's an antiques fair. You'd think they be more professional about it?. Their loss, I suppose. Frustrating for you none the least.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

An ex colleague once told me he was chatting to a female colleague and my name cropped up, he said she said "Oh, Steve, he's Aspergers". I do remember her once saying "You should have" and I said "you mean should have". That could be an indication of Aspergers, being blunt with people. Also a manager sent an email that started "morning" I emailed back to her to say "morning" is a spoken abbreviation and in written form the full "good morning" should be used. That's why I like the TV series Bones as I identify strongly with the lead character Temperance Brennan. Singer Gary Numan has Aspergers and once said he quite enjoys it as it makes him indifferent to criticism or disappointment. I do remember at work I made sure I never made mistakes, was a perfectionist. Hated people who cut corners/had a couldn't care less attitude.
Last edited by stevezodiac on 27 Jan 2022, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

"You should have" should have had a different last word "of" but whenever I submit it it is corrected to "have". Most annoying.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Thanks for being so open and honest stevezodiac. Yeah, I'm aware about Gary Numan being diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, and more recently Anthony Hopkins too. I can imagine how you & they suffered in silence not knowing what cause your anxiety.

I've heard horror stories how some were tormented at school. Where teachers assumed they were either a disruptive element or just lazy, then chastised for not wanting to participate in group sports not knowing other factors were at play.

I know similar occured with ones with Dyslexia. They were regarded in a similar vein, or worse, just plain stupid. Then stuck at the back of the classroom regarded as lost causes. But I suppose for years you yourself wondered why you had these fears mentioned if it were not your work colleague making the connection.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was pretty intelligent at school and came top of the class one year. I didn't mind doing PE in primary school but spent four years avoiding it in secondary school with forged notes from mum. Hated the idea of communal showers.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

stevezodiac wrote:
31 Jan 2022, 15:16
I was pretty intelligent at school and came top of the class one year. I didn't mind doing PE in primary school but spent four years avoiding it in secondary school with forged notes from mum. Hated the idea of communal showers.
Myself was the school joker. I was tiny as a kid and was mischievous rather than malicious. This a defense mechanism to stop being beaten up. Problem was, I use to be the one caught reacting to the school bully and bunged in detention where the bully got away with murder so to speak. They usually do. Sods law. And no doubt you yourself had a similar experience where teachers weren't aware about your fears and trepidation not being educated themselves about various conditions like Dyslexia or Autism mentioned that affects behaviour and social skills. Tough times, I bet. 😐

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

In primary school I sat at the front and remember Mr. Parker once continually kicking the legs of my chair until it came out from under me and I ended up sitting on the floor. If I'd told my dad he would have came down and given the teacher a good hiding. My dad was a tough Millwall supporting dock worker. Today that teacher would have been sacked immediately.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Next Kempton Park antique fair is next Tuesday (8th). I can't imagine the Titcombe art being there again. But I'll take a big bag anyway.