A. R. Payne - Boys Own Paper Contributer

Discuss comic art, the artists and writers both current and from the past.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Seaber

A. R. Payne - Boys Own Paper Contributer

Post by Seaber »

Hi there,

I'm currently researching Reginald Payne, the original artist who created one of the most recognised illustrations of Thomas the Tank Engine, used on all merchandise when the popular TV Series came out in 1984, and published on he cover of the books for over 70 years - but who was not recognised as such until 1995.

It seems he is credited as A. R. Payne in Boys Own Papers and contributed to several publications until his death in 1947, often in connection with naval articles.

I thought he deserved more recognition for his work, and wondered if there was anyone who had issues of B. O. P. dating to 1947 and before (he was the cover artist in 1942 but may have contributed before that) who could check and see which issues he contributed to and if any mention was given to his passing.

Any assistance would be really helpful in this regard, or if there is anywhere else I could look that would be great too.

Many thanks,
Matt

standby4action

Re: A. R. Payne - Boys Own Paper Contributer

Post by standby4action »

Hi Matt
First of all, I applaud your trying to give an artist credit.
I do have a few BOP around the 40s - but mainly 50s. I've looked through the small editions which ran from page 1 to page 56 and gave credits to the cover artists - most of the time. Interior credits are sporadic but one credit in a magazine might lead me to index others where uncredited and I had fun re-visiting these.
I can't see an identifiable style for your 'Payne' so may have missed some things that are not credited
BUT I did find
Aug 1944 p.18 "Naval Review by A R Payne" his signature over a photo of ships "The start of a monthly commentary on the War at Sea"
Sep 1944 p.18 "The chase and sinking of Bismark"
Oct 1944 p.20+34 "The story of the "Little Ships""
Nov 1944 p.18 "Manning the ships" There's a photo of "An M.T.B.Captain" who, it doesn't say, could it be him? I have no idea
[[My collection jumps to May 1945 - nothing]]
Jun 1945 pp38-39 "B.O.P. 'adopts' H.M.S. Aylmer" and it states "Our naval Correspondent A. R. Payne, here describes the modern frigate"
[[July nothing]]
Aug 1945 Cover: "Southern Railway Locomotive of the "Merchant Navy" class" - credited on Contents page
[[I have Oct, Dec 1945, Jan-Mar+May-Dec 1946, Feb + Apr-Oct 1947 nothing]]
BUT
May 1946 There's an article by C. J. Ouvant which would have been by Payne, in my opinion as it reported on the BOP adopted ship!
No obituary that I have spotted in any of the above.
So that's a spotty bit of research!

Then I had a look in the larger issues which are much fatter and numbers are continuous for each volume which starts in October of a given year
My earliest is
Jul 1938 COVER by Payne of ships
Jun 1940 COVER by Payne of ships - signed 'Payne'
[[Sep 1938, Feb-May 1940, Jul -Sep 1940, Nov 1940 - no covers credited but several have signatures - Kenneth Brookes, S. E. Beck, Patrick Nicolle]]

I have a few spare if you are interested, let me know
Best wishes
Norman
Last edited by standby4action on 10 Nov 2022, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Seaber

Re: A. R. Payne - Boys Own Paper Contributer

Post by Seaber »

standby4action wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 15:39
Hi Matt
First of all, I applaud your trying to give an artist credit.
I have a few spare if you are interested, let me know
Best wishes
Norman
Hi there Norman,

Sorry for the delayed reply, but that's absolutely brilliant! It's given me a great place to continue my research. Yes, any spares you have would be of great help.

Much appreciated, thanks
Matt