The unofficial history of the Beano

For publications about British Comics and Story Papers; blog updates, heads-up to relevant websites etc!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

The unofficial history of the Beano

Post by AndyB »

Iain McLaughlin, who worked for DC Thomson for many years, including a spell as Editor, has now published his unofficial history of the Beano. Very strongly recommended.

My review for Down the Tubes
Amazon link
Publisher's link

Tin Can Tommy

Re: The unofficial history of the Beano

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I've been waiting for this to come out. Looks like an interesting read. I intend to buy a copy in a couple weeks.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I've got the book now and had a read. It's really good.

My only complaints are that its not very critical of the Beano except a couple times. Including the artwork of the short lived Gordon Gnome story and the first series of the 2009 dennis cartoon. I feel kind of sorry for that artist. he's the only one the book criticises.

Its written by Iain Mclaughlin, but he interviews himself a couple times. Its a bit bizarre when you read "Iain Mclaughlin writes..." as though he isnt the same person who wrote the book.

There's quite a few typos and errors too. Nothing major but it was noticeable.

Its quite a short book. I really wish it was a bit longer. There was a couple things I expected to be mentioned that werent including the long stories that appeared in the Beano by Mike Pearse, Kev F amongst others. There was no mention of Jamie Smart at all. Nor a mention of Tom Paterson's retirement. Reading this interview with Tom I just found: https://whackycomics.blogspot.com/2022/ ... erson.html and his Dandy rant makes me wonder if thats related.

Overall though I absolutely loved the book. Its really interesting reading about the changes in the Beano in the 2000s and reading about all the new stories I loved as a child and where they got the ideas from. And the older stuff was interesting too. I never knew Billy Whizz was almost named Flash Harry. The book makes a brilliant companion piece to 2008's big "official" History of the Beano book.
Last edited by Tin Can Tommy on 18 Apr 2022, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

One thing that confused me that I'm not quite sure of is that the book mentions Euan Kerr worked on the New Hornet. I cant find anything online about a comic with that name. Is it just a mistake and the Hornet and the New Hotspur, which I think it merged with, were mixed up?

dishes

Post by dishes »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 11:32

My only complaints are that its not very critical of the Beano except a couple times. Including the artwork of the short lived Gordon Gnome story and the first series of the 2009 dennis cartoon. I feel kind of sorry for that artist. he's the only one the book criticises.

Eh? What does he think is wrong with the Gordon Gnome artwork? It was a big hit with our household at the time. Will read this book with interest.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 11:32
The main reason why it isn’t very critical of the Beano is that, very simply, Iain was writing a fond memoir of a comic he loved working on. He was never going to do a hatchet job.