Commando Complete?

Pocket-sized war 'comic' that has been around since 1961 and is still going strong.

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Commando Complete?

Post by Kashgar »

I was just wondering if any member of this forum has a complete, or near complete, to date collection of Commando? I've always thought that Commando, certainly if you started collecting it twenty or more years ago, would be one of the easier mega-titles to accumulate a complete set of even giving its fifty-five year run thus far.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Commando Complete?

Post by colcool007 »

I am not even close. I have around 2600 of the little tykes and it could be even more which is why I am cataloguing so that I know which issues I am still hunting. Tomorrow I am off to Treasure Bunker in Glasgow and then on to the Big Glasgow Comic Fair Comic and Craft Fair in the Renfield Centre and I will be mainly hunting Commandos. And Paw Broon will get a fair amount of fun watching me in some of that hunting!

However on the plus side, there is more information about the contributors than ever before and I am slowly but surely collating it all together. To date, I have identified 36 writers (well it is 35 as I know one is a pseudonym for one of the writers), 34 cover artists who have contributed at least 1,868 covers and 48 internal art artists who have contributed to at least 1,772 issues.

These credits include a fair chunk of reprints but considering that I have been at this for less than a month, then I am well chuffed with my progress so far. To get to where I am today, I have drawn on the excellent work done by Steve Holland over on Bear Alley, Vic Whittle on British Picture Libraries, John Freeman on Down The Tubes and the ever hard working Commando team that have managed to publish the credits over the last eight years.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

During my daily trawl of the internet in search of comics, I came across this and would have gone for them myself but living on the South Coast makes it highly impractical so I remembered this thread and thought it may be of interest to either of you.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/aucti ... fe00f261fa

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:During my daily trawl of the internet in search of comics, I came across this and would have gone for them myself but living on the South Coast makes it highly impractical so I remembered this thread and thought it may be of interest to either of you.

:shock: Wow! Just wow! :shock:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

colcool007 wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:During my daily trawl of the internet in search of comics, I came across this and would have gone for them myself but living on the South Coast makes it highly impractical so I remembered this thread and thought it may be of interest to either of you.

:shock: Wow! Just wow! :shock:
Thought you might like that! I'd be so pleased if that auction.....at that guide price.....was anywhere near me. I even sent them an email to see if they'd send them by courier and they haven't replied :( Good luck!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I am close enough and asked the most important question for me. How many are pre-decimal?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I'd be so pleased if that auction.....at that guide price.....was anywhere near me.
You may need to check this, Adam, but I'm almost certain that you can follow this saleroom.com auction on line, and place bids too. Compal uses them.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I think they are gonna go for way more than the set price on pic,if i had any money i would bid for them myself.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:I'd be so pleased if that auction.....at that guide price.....was anywhere near me.
You may need to check this, Adam, but I'm almost certain that you can follow this saleroom.com auction on line, and place bids too. Compal uses them.
I can bid but not get them delivered and the auction is a little too far from Southampton or London.......sadly.

I have discussed a Scottish holiday with the Mrs but she Sussed me out very quickly and the answer cannot be repeated here!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I can bid but not get them delivered and the auction is a little too far from Southampton or London.
I find this very disappointing. Obviously I am aware that auction houses do expect their successful bidders to remove their winnings as promptly as possible but it isn't that unreasonable to expect them to respond more generously to those bidders who clearly live a long way from the auction premises. After all they are offering the online facility. Auction houses in my neck of the woods always used to deliver large items such as armchairs or three-piece suites for example. I can't speak for their current procedures because I haven't any recent experience, but it isn't as if they would be out of pocket because all their packaging time would be factored into the p&p costs. Have you thought of doing an online search for relevant companies in or around Hamilton who you could phone or email to find out whether they would be prepared to act for you in the event of your making the winning bid? I'm thinking of just the packing and posting to you, not the delivering. Of course where the total cost is concerned, Adam, you will need to remember the 23% buyers premium, which would add £115 if your successful bid was the top estimate of £500.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:I can bid but not get them delivered and the auction is a little too far from Southampton or London.
I find this very disappointing. Obviously I am aware that auction houses do expect their successful bidders to remove their winnings as promptly as possible but it isn't that unreasonable to expect them to respond more generously to those bidders who clearly live a long way from the auction premises. After all they are offering the online facility. Auction houses in my neck of the woods always used to deliver large items such as armchairs or three-piece suites for example. I can't speak for their current procedures because I haven't any recent experience, but it isn't as if they would be out of pocket because all their packaging time would be factored into the p&p costs. Have you thought of doing an online search for relevant companies in or around Hamilton who you could phone or email to find out whether they would be prepared to act for you in the event of your making the winning bid? I'm thinking of just the packing and posting to you, not the delivering. Of course where the total cost is concerned, Adam, you will need to remember the 23% buyers premium, which would add £115 if your successful bid was the top estimate of £500.
After a bit of negotiation I have managed to agree a packing and postage cost so I may have a cheeky bid on this lot now. My Mrs would be furious if I won 3000 comics though!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I may have a cheeky bid on this lot now. My Mrs would be furious if I won 3000 comics though!
My wife, well ex-wife, never seemed particularly bothered about my storypaper collecting. What she objected to was the fact that in the football season I always took a school team every Saturday morning, had a couple of jars with our school's other managers after the matches to analyse the performances of all our teams, and then I'd go home for a quick lunch before driving over to Bolton if they had a home game. She was only partially mollified when I bought our elder son Andrew his own season ticket for a seat next to mine, and started to take him with me. I did eventually realise that I was being rather selfish but unfortunately it was a bit late by then.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:I may have a cheeky bid on this lot now. My Mrs would be furious if I won 3000 comics though!
My wife, well ex-wife, never seemed particularly bothered about my storypaper collecting. What she objected to was the fact that in the football season I always took a school team every Saturday morning, had a couple of jars with our school's other managers after the matches to analyse the performances of all our teams, and then I'd go home for a quick lunch before driving over to Bolton if they had a home game. She was only partially mollified when I bought our elder son Andrew his own season ticket for a seat next to mine, and started to take him with me. I did eventually realise that I was being rather selfish but unfortunately it was a bit late by then.
Ha! My ex-wife had similar feelings regarding my season ticket at Southampton!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

I am now the proud owner of 3000+ Commando comics!

I now have to explain to my much fairer other half as to why I am the proud owner of said comics!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Adam Eterno wrote:I am now the proud owner of 3000+ Commando comics!
...I think that counts as a Brigade! :)