Looking for Judy comics from the early 80s... or information

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: Looking for Judy comics from the early 80s... or information

Post by Digifiend »

AndyB wrote:The Dandy's pagecount is lower per fortnight, though...
I know. The cost is the same, that was my point. Of course, you do get less for your money with The Dandy... just like with Mars bars compared to before I was born... that was news to me, but unsurprising. :(

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

One minute we're having an interesting chat in this Girls Comics forum about different types of story in Judy and in Mandy, the next we're discussing Mars bars. Have I slipped into a parallel universe without noticing the fact? Where on earth is the Cap when we need him?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Blame Kashgar, he's the one who mentioned Mars bars. This smilie, which seems very appropriate, also has a link to Mars... :offtopic2: Topic bars are made by Mars.

Meanwhile in another dimension....

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It was me, not Kashgar - context was the universal currency known as the Mars Bar, which is an excellent way to compare relative price rises.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

oops, his was the second mention of mars... should've paid more attention. :oops:

By the way, my "another dimension" gag was a reference to phoenix's comment about a parallel universe.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Audiate, I came across a couple of Judys from 1980 yesterday, here they are. You can have them for nothing. Send me a private message with your mailing address and i'll post them off to you. Nice Sci-fi cover on one.

Audiate

Post by Audiate »

Just PM'd you now, Steve... for some reason, I'd stopped getting notifications of posts to this thread.

Yes, they're great covers. I bought a few Judys from a comic store and noticed that the covers seem to all be by the same artist, rather than by the artist of the story that's featured. Any idea who that artist was, and how long they were with DCT?

Actually, does anyone have info on who any of the artists were?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The cover with the rabbits being set free looks like it has the name Malcolm written in the grass...bottom right corner.. :)

Audiate

Post by Audiate »

My eyes must be buggy from staring at the computer all day... I can't see it!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The flying saucer cover is definitely by Ian Kennedy who also drew the 'Immortal Dancer' story and seemed to do quite a lot of work for Judy over the years (though not by any means all the covers). He's in semi-retirement now but still does occasional work for DC Thomson's digest-sized Commando war comics. Here's another one of his Judy covers featuring a 'feminized' version of the long-running boys' series 'Tough of the Track':

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just above inside...it looks like a grass pattern..or it could be the name Malcolm..

I'm probably wrong.. :)

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Peter Gray wrote:it could be the name Malcolm
I think it's Mavis.

Audiate

Post by Audiate »

Now I feel like I'm staring at one of those 3D pictures where everyone else can see the pattern in it except me. :shock: Are you sure it's not grass...???

Either way, thanks for the info on the other cover artist. I need to scan some Judys and post a couple frames here, to try to identify the artists. Too bad they weren't given credit at the time!

Does anyone know, were the girls' comic strips usually written by writer/artist teams, or did the artists write the story too?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Audiate wrote:Are you sure it's not grass...???
Of course it's grass. I was being facetious. It's the rabbit that's got the name. She's called Daisy, and she's pregnant. Perhaps that's why the grass seems to have been disturbed.

Audiate

Post by Audiate »

Oh ~groan~ I definitely have been in front of the computer too long - I thought there really might be a name in there!
If I'm off work with eye strain, I'm sending the bill to you... :D

Daisy looks a mite ticked off. I don't think she likes the implications of being carried around in a picnic basket.