The Jackson Five In JUDY

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

The Jackson Five In JUDY

Post by Phoenix »

I'm not sure how important this is to comics enthusiasts in general but, in the aftermath of Michael's death, this double-page spread from issue 696 of Judy (May 12 1973) may be of interest to some of you.
Attachments
jackson5a.jpg
jackson5b.jpg

Kashgar
Guru

Re: The Jackson Five In JUDY

Post by Kashgar »

How sanitized everything was in those old 'When he was a Boy' style strips. Natural enough given when and where they were published and the audience they were aimed at but, nonetheless, strangely unwholesome in retrospect with everyone living in a kind of Stepford-like environment.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Might be a good idea for Thomson's to reprint that, perhaps in a Weekly News? After all, Michael Jackson seems to flavour of the month now that he's gone.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

R.I.P Michael Jackson.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Might be a good idea for Thomson's to reprint that, perhaps in a Weekly News? After all, Michael Jackson seems to flavour of the month now that he's gone.
Hopefully that bandwagon's just about run its course.

How's about a Mollie Sugden tribute instead?

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The BBC should at least repeat some episodes of Are You Being Served.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Someone who sneaked onto the bandwagon rather sharply was the Ebay seller that listed the 1970's Hornet issue featuring Michael Jackson on the cover on the day that Michael died. It has just finished and went for £20!! Either someone's a big Jackson fan or just potty!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Kashgar wrote:How sanitized everything was in those old 'When he was a Boy' style strips. Natural enough given when and where they were published and the audience they were aimed at but, nonetheless, strangely unwholesome in retrospect with everyone living in a kind of Stepford-like environment.
Ever see IPC's Kevin Keegan Special? A full length comic strip biog of the permed one which left the reader feeling they had been in the presence of a living saint... :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Never heard of that, but I bet it was popular in Newcastle! :lol:

steven

Post by steven »

I also have a Dandy from 1989 featuring Desperate Dan having plastic surgary on his lips to impress a girl who was a Michael Jackson fan.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Can you scan and upload that please? I've never seen that cover.

ajsmith

Post by ajsmith »

"Bogeyman" by John Geering form the Beezer circa 1989 featured a (slightly dated) mickey take of Thriller-era Micky..

steven

Post by steven »

Digifiend wrote:Can you scan and upload that please? I've never seen that cover.
I did try my best to scan it but not much luck uploading it.

MJ himself had appeared on the Dandy masthead replacing Korky the Cat. Issue dated 7/1/89. The issue said it was a 'special wacky edtion' butonly Desperate Dan had the related story. The rest of the comic was normal. The girl was named Miss Ellie (a pun after the Dallas characther maybe?).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Files probably too big, try uploading to imageshack or some other webspace provider, then put it here like this:
[img]image%20url[/img]

Thanks for the description though. I've tried Googling to see if anyone already uploaded it, but I'm not having much luck.