"Wendy at War" serial in Debbie comic

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: "Wendy at War" serial in Debbie comic

Post by Tammyfan »

I wonder if Wendy at War was reprinted? I can't believe a story like that was never reprinted. Is it possible that it was reprinted in Mandy after the merger, just as The Jealousy of Jemma was. Does anyone know?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

How much attention has the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands received in girls comics? Do they deal more with the continental occupation and the home front?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I can't recall any reprint of 'Wendy at War', nor can I think of any other strips set in the Channel Islands during WW2 (though I'm sure there must have been a few). From what I've seen of it I agree that the series is very well written and drawn: I particularly like details such as the German poster appealing for rubber to aid 'the war effort'. In fact it seems so well researched that I'm inclined to wonder whether the writer might have had some personal connection with the Channel Islands.

Here's the second episode, in which Wendy meets her German friend Helmut for the first time.

DC Thomson seemed to be experiencing something of a creative high when this appeared as the same issue featured a full-page advert for the very first issue of Spellbound.

- Phil Rushton
Last edited by philcom55 on 14 Aug 2013, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Tammyfan wrote:How much attention has the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands received in girls comics? Do they deal more with the continental occupation and the home front?
Here is one from France Tammyfan. 'Secret Journey' from 'Schoolfriend' 1962. A red cross worker gets caught behind the lines along with two English boys.
Attachments
Secret.journey.1.jpg
Secret.Journey.2.jpg

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

And The Sentinels from Misty tackled the scenario of what if Hitler had won WWII. Art by Mario Capaldi and story by Malcolm Shaw.

Does anyone know of any other serials that also tackled WWII winning Nazis?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Does anyone know when Wendy at War ended? I have decided to try and track it down, but I don't know which issue it ended with.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

30th Century Comics tells me it ended with #198.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Tammyfan wrote:And The Sentinels from Misty tackled the scenario of what if Hitler had won WWII. Art by Mario Capaldi and story by Malcolm Shaw.

Does anyone know of any other serials that also tackled WWII winning Nazis?
Timequake in Starlord featured Martin Bormann as running loose in the time stream making sure the Reich did last for 1000 years.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I have episodes 186 and 197. Episodes 188, 189, 192, 195, 196 and 198 are on their way from 30th Century Comics. Does anyone have any other episodes, please? Thanks.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Here is the final episode of Wendy at War:

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

:cheers: Great news! David Roach turned up a lead in his papers that identified the artist who drew Wendy at War! His name is Terry Aspin.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Just for the record, as nobody has so far posted this information, Wendy At War appeared in Debbie 186 (Sep. 4 1976) - 198 (Nov. 27 1976).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Tammyfan wrote:And The Sentinels from Misty tackled the scenario of what if Hitler had won WWII. Art by Mario Capaldi and story by Malcolm Shaw....
I wonder if the artist Mario Capaldi is any relation to the actor Peter Capaldi?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

colcool007 wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:And The Sentinels from Misty tackled the scenario of what if Hitler had won WWII. Art by Mario Capaldi and story by Malcolm Shaw....
I wonder if the artist Mario Capaldi is any relation to the actor Peter Capaldi?
I've often wondered that too, colcool - I read somewhere ages ago that Peter Capaldi's father was an artist. Not sure they might be that closely related however. We know that Mario Capaldi had a daughter, Vanda, but not much else. Ask Vanda?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

helsbels wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
I've often wondered that too, colcool - I read somewhere ages ago that Peter Capaldi's father was an artist. Not sure they might be that closely related however. We know that Mario Capaldi had a daughter, Vanda, but not much else. Ask Vanda?
I can't find anything specific either way. But I did find that both Capaldis were born in Glasgow. Peter in 1958 and Mario in 1935.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 04 Oct 2014, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.