"Wendy at War" serial in Debbie comic

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: "Wendy at War" serial in Debbie comic

Post by Phoenix »

According to an online biography of Peter Capaldi, his father, who hailed from Italy, was called Gerry. Not exactly an Italian-sounding name, but that's what it says. So Mario would not appear to have been responsible!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:According to an online biography of Peter Capaldi, his father, who hailed from Italy, was called Gerry. Not exactly an Italian-sounding name, but that's what it says. So Mario would not appear to have been responsible!
Thanks, Phoenix.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

No, I didn't think they would be that closely related! But I still wonder if there is some family connection somewhere?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I must admit there have been times when I've even wondered if there could be more than one comic artist called Mario Capaldi. Presumably it would be a reasonably common name in Italy, and the serious style of 'The Sentinels' looks markedly different from his fairy tale paintings - let alone the more humorous art on 'Typhoon Tracy'. Here are a couple of signed examples of the latter from a copy of the 1971 Hurricane Annual which I picked up at a boot sale last weekend:

On the other hand Peter Capaldi was a student at Glasgow Art School, so it's quite possible that an interest in art runs in his extended family.

- Phil Rushton

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

I think it's the same Mario Capaldi - he adapted his style to fit the stories. I can see with the Typhoon Tracy strip it's Mario in humourous mode, not too dissimilar to how he drew The Jinx From St Jonah's. Also as it's from the very early 70's, his style would be a bit different. I have some older girls picture libraries from the 60's with stories which I reckon are early Mario Capaldi. They do look markedly different from his work in Tammy and Misty but there's still something recognisable in the style.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Okay, this serial from M&J is not WWII, but it does have a Nazi/WWII feel to it. This is an alternate London under the oppressive rule of crime syndicates known as "The Families". The strange thing is, they are more like jack-booted fascists than the Mafia. And the way the people live could be straight out of WWII. They have appliances but no electricity to run them because The Families have cut it all off for themselves. They do the same with the food, forcing people to steal it or starve.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Does anyone have the episodes of Wendy at War from Debbie #'s 187, 190, 191, 193 and 194, please? Many thanks for any help.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

I have episodes #187 and #194, I can upload them in a while.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Wendy at War #187

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Wendy at War #194

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you, Peace.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I wonder if Wendy at War was repeated in Mandy, the title Debbie merged into?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:I wonder if Wendy at War was repeated in Mandy, the title Debbie merged into?
No, it wasn't, Briony. The other title you were interested in on a different thread, The Jealousy Of Jemma, was actually a MANDY story in 1978 before being repeated in the same paper in 1989. According to my notes it never appeared in DEBBIE.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:I wonder if Wendy at War was repeated in Mandy, the title Debbie merged into?
No, it wasn't, Briony.
Thank you for the information. Pity Wendy wasn't reprinted in Mandy, it would have raised her profile more.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Here is another serial about the Channel Island occupation: Tommy Girl from Bunty
http://girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2019/ ... girl-1967/