Here is some artwork from Purita Campos

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Here is some artwork from Purita Campos

Post by philcom55 »

Here's a Maria Pascual cover from August 1971, shortly after Patty's World made its debut inside:

From Tina's launch as an 'international' comic in 1967 nearly all the covers had been painted in a very traditional, British style by (I think) Roger Hall. Though beautifully lit and coloured, and not without a certain charm, these looked terribly static and old-fashioned by 1970, as can be seen from this curiously English-seeming Spanish girl who appeared in January 1969:

Given the sudden influx of Spanish cover artists (especially Purita Campos) from about May 1970 it looks as though IPC must have realized they were falling behind the times and turned to one of the Spanish agencies in order to liven up their covers.

Both the covers shown below are from June 1970. While the first is unsigned it is very much in Purita's style, and the unrestrained use of colour and pattern in the paint, wallpaper and clothing - combined with the picture's 'unfinished' edges - give a perfect example of those semi-abstract elements which made her work so appealing. I particularly like the way in which the hand and dribbling brush effortlessly frame the composition in the bottom right hand corner! By contrast the second cover (which does have a 'Campos' signature, even if my scanner couldn't fit most of it in) is slightly more restrained, but it shows how Purita could always add movement to the most traditional image with her background figures.

(By the way Ruth, if you want to re-use any of these scans elsewhere please feel free to do so :) )

- Phil Rushton

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Thanks!! Im just showing them off in our forum, and yes, the last too are from Purita. Ihad never seen anything from Pascual outside Spain, so thanks for that cover, too!! I will keep an eye in Ebay for more issues, I have around 10-12 only, I think, they don't come up very often.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Those last two are brilliant..love the splashing of paint in decorating..

maybe I should do a blog post to show other people..with link and credit to you...they are great..

It shows Look-in didn't have all the good painted covers.and actually I prefer these..the Look-in ones were more based on photos..these are more free spirit..

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

RuthB wrote:No, I am sure it is Melanie. It was a very short lived publication.
This could be the Melanie your talking about, I might have bought a couple of copies for the Slade posters inside, I have a Flexi-Disc "Slade talk to Melanie Readers"
which came free with it one week,this is only the cover I have with a Slade picture on the other side I don't know what the contents were.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Yes, that might be. I never got to see any. thanks!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'd guess that's it as it's the only Melanie listed by the British Library's online catalogue. It certainly seems very similar in style to other IPC titles of the period such as New Mirabelle and Pink (which makes it all the more surprising that Denis Gifford didn't include it in his reference books).

Incidentally, New Mirabelle did feature strips by Purita as well, as can be seen from the title page shown below:

- I love the way she's drawn the heroine's arm and legs without any outlines in the splash panel: those broad horizontal brushstrokes are amazingly effective!

While I'm at it here are a couple more Princess Tina covers from 1970 - this time with seasonal themes appropriate to the current time of year:

- Neither of these are signed, but while the first one looks like the work of someone else entirely the background figures are similar enough to Purita's to make me wonder if it was produced by another Spanish artist.

- Phil Rushton

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Thanks Phil!! The first cover isn't Purita, but it is very much in the line of Princess Tina covers but have not clue who it might be.

thanks for the sotry. Is it a long story? Would you be able to scan it or is it a series? This is very much of interest to me, as you can image. I would say even to Purita that never got all her material back.

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Do you know if Purita did the cover image for the 1967 June annual please Ruth?

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

I don't think so... I had a look in ebay, is the one with the blue cover and the girl with black hair and red jumper, isn't it? No, I wouldn't say so.

I have the following annual covers that she did:

- Mandy 1994
-School Friend 81, 79 and 77
-Jinty 1975
-Tammy 1985
-Girls Crystal 1969
-Penelope 1972
-June 1976

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Ah OK, thanks! I'll take a closer look at those covers. She is such a wonderful artist!

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Actually, the more I look at the june 67 the more I am seeing Purita's work on it. She's in Gijón today for a Comic convention (north of Spain) so a group of forum members are going to see her. I sent the pic to one of them to show it to Purita see if she can confirm it. Will let you know later on, I am getting crosseyed from looking at it now!!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

RuthB wrote:I don't think so... I had a look in ebay, is the one with the blue cover and the girl with black hair and red jumper, isn't it? No, I wouldn't say so.
No need to check eBay (which might not have what you're looking for) when we have an annuals cover gallery right here.
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Annuals/Annua ... title=June
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Annuals/AnnualWhole.asp

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

Ok, sorted: she said it is hers but it was retouched by someone: hers is the face but the hair is not and there might be other changes to it.
So there! (By the way, I bought the annual in ebay, that was the reason I looked there, ejem... could not resist)... XDD

Tonibunny

Post by Tonibunny »

Ah wow! Brilliant, thanks Ruth! It's so cool that you could find out from Purita herself :D

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

We keep in touch regularly, we phone at least once a month if we have the time, same with Trini tinture, and I see Purita twice a year in both Barcelona and Madrid Comic conventions, I will be going in December. She is getting now on the 4th of November the Gold Medal of the Spanish Arts with is a top Award for an artist. Also this year Julio Iglesias is getting it and a Duchess that has a huge collection of Art, she's a big Mecenas in Spain. I will post the relevant news of the day and mainly pictures I guess as they will be all in Spanish, I'm afraid... So I will do my bulletin for the day, XDDDD.