The Happy Days (Sue Day)

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: The Happy Days (Sue Day)

Post by philcom55 »

I think this is the episode in which the appalling Mr. Knowall met his Waterloo Tammyfan. Gloria sure knew how to pick 'em! :)

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you, Philcom! So it turned out Know-all was too smart for his own good.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Nice one Philcom!

That Mr Knowall sure reminds me of people I've known - one guy who all his peers looked up to like a messiah! (once he had less haor than knowall and still is one at almost 50).

And in female form - my older sister, whose knowallness was encouraged by my parents (who could bnever resist wanting to give their "help" weather I needed it or not). He even looks like her a lot (sis looked a lot like Scooby Doo's Velma).

I'd collect more Princess (Tina) if only my finfances and storage space would allow it.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

DavidKW wrote:Nice one Philcom!

That Mr Knowall sure reminds me of people I've known - one guy who all his peers looked up to like a messiah! (once he had less haor than knowall and still is one at almost 50).

And in female form - my older sister, whose knowallness was encouraged by my parents (who could bnever resist wanting to give their "help" weather I needed it or not). He even looks like her a lot (sis looked a lot like Scooby Doo's Velma).

I'd collect more Princess (Tina) if only my finfances and storage space would allow it.
I met someone like that on a thread once too. A sanctimonious know-all who would talk to you like they're your mother and in my opinion would lead you into arguments so they (don't know their gender) would show off how smart they are and wouldn't really listen to you. Don't hear from that person anymore, thank goodness.

I find the Eustace story quite realistic because there are so many people like him. And I like the way he was brought down too.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

"The Happy Days" is my favourite from Princess Tina. It's like watching a good old-fashioned sitcom. And you get a complete episode in an issue, unlike most of the strips in the comic.
Last edited by suebutcher on 04 Aug 2015, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

suebutcher wrote:"The Happy Days" is my favourite from Princess Tina. It's like watching a good old-fashioned sitcom.
Somebody on the forum was talking about doing a TV show out of it.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

[quote="philcom55"]I think this is the episode in which the appalling Mr. Knowall met his Waterloo Tammyfan. Gloria sure knew how to pick 'em! :)

I think it's nice and neat that it's Gloria who wises up and gives him the push for his arrogance, rather than the family members catching him out - which I don't think is very likely to have worked anyway.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Jenny Butterworth really doesn't get enough credit for her excellent scripts which never once dipped in quality over hundreds of episodes of the Happy Days!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:Jenny Butterworth really doesn't get enough credit for her excellent scripts which never once dipped in quality over hundreds of episodes of the Happy Days!
That's very interesting, Phil. We don't know many writers of the Jinty stories, particularly not that many female writers - what reference have you got for Jenny Butterworth as the writer of Happy Days? I shall add her to my list of known female writers!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

RuthB

Post by RuthB »

http://womenincomics.wikia.com/wiki/Jenny_Butterworth

She is known to be the writer of The Happy Days without doubt

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

comixminx wrote:
philcom55 wrote:Jenny Butterworth really doesn't get enough credit for her excellent scripts which never once dipped in quality over hundreds of episodes of the Happy Days!
That's very interesting, Phil. We don't know many writers of the Jinty stories, particularly not that many female writers - what reference have you got for Jenny Butterworth as the writer of Happy Days? I shall add her to my list of known female writers!
Jinty writers we do know of are Alison Christie, Malcolm Shaw, Pat Mills, Terry Magee, Len Wenn and Veronica Weir. There are a couple more I suspect but have no confirmation.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Tammyfan wrote:
comixminx wrote:
Jinty writers we do know of are Alison Christie, Malcolm Shaw, Pat Mills, Terry Magee, Len Wenn and Veronica Weir. There are a couple more I suspect but have no confirmation.
Also Jay Over and Keith Robson.

I'll add Jenny Butterworth to my article on female creators in girls' comics.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

comixminx wrote:
philcom55 wrote:I think this is the episode in which the appalling Mr. Knowall met his Waterloo Tammyfan. Gloria sure knew how to pick 'em! :)

I think it's nice and neat that it's Gloria who wises up and gives him the push for his arrogance, rather than the family members catching him out - which I don't think is very likely to have worked anyway.
Yes, I had a feeling Eustace would have inflicted them with yet another know-all lecture if Sue had tried to catch him out on the subject of ferns. So I was glad Sue decided not to try him out on it. I like how they got rid of Eustace in the end too.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Jenny Butterworth also wrote "Wulf The Briton" in its early days, and was married to Mike "Trigan Empire" Butterworth. Maybe if she'd written some of the Trigan stories the strip wouldn't have repeated itself so much!

Sid went for snobby and/or nutty girlfriends as I remember.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

That was the nice thing about The Happy Days: although Sue narrated the stories (and had an annual named after her!) every single member of the family was equally important, and took turns in the spotlight.